Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian artifact excavation

Some of you know my Dad and I are about to start another major excavation. My sample digs in this site turned out over 300 points in a day of digging as well as several buckets of scrapers and broken pottery.
    Well I got the site bought,got a 85hp skid steer, and moved my old peanut combine sifter on site. I have spent most of this week clearing the woods off the main site and burning brush. Im just about ready to crank up!
    I had a deal made for a conveyor to move the sifted dirt but the deal fell through today. I can operate without it but it sure would save me a lot of time moving sifted dirt. If anyone knows where ther is a 20ft or so conveyor on wheels, please let me know. The motor doesnt have to work as i will power it off the sifter. Here are a few pics.
    Attached Files

Keep us posted! Man I wish I could join in on a deal like this. Obviously you found a camp site. Do you know which indians it was? If it's in east Texas I'll bet Caddo. Pottery? Any iron artifacts? Got any pics of stuff you already found?

Comment

How do you find site for test digs?
      I hope you find great artifacts

Comment

Looking a little better now
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
          Keep us posted! Man I wish I could join in on a deal like this. Obviously you found a camp site. Do you know which indians it was? If it's in east Texas I'll bet Caddo. Pottery? Any iron artifacts? Got any pics of stuff you already found?
          The site is ancient with stacked cultures from 1000 years old all the way back to 12000 year old paleo. Most is transitional paleo to early archaic. I have found Plainview, Scottsbluff, Andice,Dalton, Wells, Langtry, Searcy, Gary, and Catahoula there so far.

Comment

Wow, that is awesome! PLEASE post up some pics of the artifacts found. This is giving me a serious itch to get out and dig...

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
              Wow, that is awesome! PLEASE post up some pics of the artifacts found. This is giving me a serious itch to get out and dig...
              Hook up with me sometime and we can hit a few good spots on the San Gabriel. My FIL runs the Alamo plant in Georgetown, right on the river. Lot's of cool stuff.

Comment

This is going to be good! I have a spot I need to do this to.

Comment

Originally posted by Snipehunter View Post
                  Hook up with me sometime and we can hit a few good spots on the San Gabriel. My FIL runs the Alamo plant in Georgetown, right on the river. Lot's of cool stuff.
                  Will do! There are some great camps on the San Gabriel. Truly appreciate the offer!

Comment

Man GarGuy, you are killing me here. I'd rather dig for arrowheads than kill a 160+ whitetail!!

Looks like you got yourself a great East Texas site right there. Looking forward to seeing the progress of this one. If you got any pics of the artifacts, I sure would love to see them.

Comment

BTW, if you find any fertility stuff, I would appreciate a loan for about 4-5 weeks

Comment

Oh man this is gonna be good!

Comment

Originally posted by Snipehunter View Post
                          BTW, if you find any fertility stuff, I would appreciate a loan for about 4-5 weeks
                          they make pills for that....

Comment

So if you use the powered equipment and there happened to be a full pottery specimen it would just be destroyed in favor of points?

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                              So if you use the powered equipment and there happened to be a full pottery specimen it would just be destroyed in favor of points?
                              There is almost zero chance to unearth a pot, bowl that is not broken. The largest piece of pottery I have found was no bigger than a half dollar.

Comment

Working...
                              X