Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone herd of boiling guns in water to clean them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is what I like about Glock just throw them in the dishwasher.

Comment

Originally posted by mchildress View Post
      That is what I like about Glock just throw them in the dishwasher.
      Is this true. Cause I have been wanting to give mine a good cleaning

Comment

Originally posted by keep View Post
        Like a buddy's gun?

Comment

I pour boiling water down the barrel of my muzzle loader to clean it. Old mountain trick and it works well. B/P breaks down in water and hot water dries almost immediately.

We used to do it with our M-16's too. Plenty of oil afterwards though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockpit TX View Post
            Is this true. Cause I have been wanting to give mine a good cleaning
            After being out on the bay and getting soaked by saltwater, I normally come home and wash my Glock with hot soapy water. I am the dishwasher, so that is why I do it. Put it in the oven with just the pilot light being on and it dries out well. Only put the recommened amount of oil on the gun. To much oil on a Glock is a bad thing. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Edwards View Post
              A old man told me that he would dip his pistols in boiling water and when he pulled them out the water would evaporate leaving a clean gun?
              had a NAM vet tell me the same thing.

Comment

Half a five gallon bucket of hot hot water and Simple Green is the best way to clean a really dirty gun. I warm them with a heat gun to evaporate the remaining water and then follow up with oil.

Glocks and ARs especially like the hot water.

Comment

thats a new one on me

Comment

i would think to much heat would weakin the springs....i wouldn't dare try it

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
                      we took our M 16's in the shower before inspection,then oiled the crap out of them.
                      Could ya here this coming out of the shower? This is my M 16, there are many like it but this one is mine...

Comment

We had a trough of boiling water that we used to put our M16 in. It was right outside the armory.

Tbar

Comment

A old man told me that he would dip his pistols in boiling water and when he pulled them out the water would evaporate leaving a clean gun?
                          hot soapy water is the recommended cleaning method for black powder guns, the hotter the better, and yes because of the heat the water evaporates quickly but oiling is an absolute neccesity,,

Comment

We put our m16's in half barrels of solvent then took em out wiped em down and light coats of oil. These days i use cans of starter fluid to blow everything out of the barrel and clean all the moving parts on all my guns. Then a light sray of gun oil. The all work they all shine and they have no rust any where. I may try that boiling water tho.

Comment

Very old gunsmith trick, I have been doing it in my shop on very dirty customer guns for years. Remove all wood, plastic, stocks and grips before you boil hard. Remove, allow water to flash off and then hand clean any remaining problem crap, blow off with high pressure air and oil.

And it takes around 400 degrees to damage springs.

Comment

Never done it myself, but have heard of people putting their Glocks in the dishwasher also. My Glocks get a basic cleaning after use and a complete thorough stripdown detailed cleaning every so often.

I've been thinking about getting a 209 X .50 barrel for my T/C Encore Prohunter. I guess one way to soak your B/P barrel in hot water would be to boil up a pot of H20 with the crawfish pot and pour it in the bathtub with the barrel? Does it need to be hotter than the hot water that normally comes out of the tap?

Comment

Working...
                                X