Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadheads: buy new or sharpen?

I'm sure this'll start something.

I'm sure there're broadheads that are really difficult to sharpen and it's better to just buy some new ones, but who has bought a couple sets and has just sharpened them for as long as they last.

I got some Magnus Stingers and they should be easy enough to sharpen but is it just better to get a set to practice with and then have a fresh set for hunting? Or should you always practice with the ones you plan on shooting?

I've done that with Magnus and steel force. Everything else I either just buy new or replace the blades. And if you break a Magnus they will send you new ones

a brand new head that I've never shot before, I sacrifice one to practice with. The rest never get shot until it kills a animal

Comment

I shoot broadheads at deer once then sharpen and use for hogs, coons, sqirrells, and hippos.

Comment

A quality steel head is easy enough to resharpen, some designs are more straightforward than others but in my opinion it's worth the extra effort and initial expense to get something that you can hone yourself and touch up as required. I'll practice with all my broadheads prior to the season to make sure they're all flying true with my field tips and it takes about 10 minutes on the whetstone and strop to get them back to shaving sharp, shoot through an animal = same scenario, reset the bevel if required, little time with the finer stone and it's ready to go again.
        Last edited by agtex42; 01-27-2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I just buy new, one less thing to worry about.

Comment

Sharpen my G5s

Comment

Depends on the broad head. German kenetic, VPA I re-sharpen. Exodus, slick tricks, replace the blades, hypo new head ( have not bothered to buy new blades for them yet)

Comment

Here is some good reading for the OP. Same question was asked just last week....

Comment

What are you guys using?

I use a flat diamond plate but an looking at trying something else out.

Comment

German kenetics and Solids i sharpen, they are always amazing. Anything else i just "test" and mess around from time to time.

Comment

I can usually re-sharpen my Slick Tricks and RAGEs, unless they're damaged beyond repair.

Comment

Originally posted by FCoDxDart View Post
                        I'm sure this'll start something.

I'm sure there're broadheads that are really difficult to sharpen and it's better to just buy some new ones, but who has bought a couple sets and has just sharpened them for as long as they last.

I got some Magnus Stingers and they should be easy enough to sharpen but is it just better to get a set to practice with and then have a fresh set for hunting? Or should you always practice with the ones you plan on shooting?
                        You can also send old, dull, dinged up Magnus back to them and they'll replace under their lifetime warranty. I've done it many times.

Comment

Originally posted by agtex42 View Post
                          A quality steel head is easy enough to resharpen, some designs are more straightforward than others but in my opinion it's worth the extra effort and initial expense to get something that you can hone yourself and touch up as required. I'll practice with all my broadheads prior to the season to make sure they're all flying true with my field tips and it takes about 10 minutes on the whetstone and strop to get them back to shaving sharp, shoot through an animal = same scenario, reset the bevel if required, little time with the finer stone and it's ready to go again.
                          i agree with and do this. unless the broadhead is wrinkled up from bony contact, they are resharpened again and again.

Comment

I just replace the blades on my Slick Tricks.

Comment

I resharpen if they aren't bent.

Comment

Working...
                              X