Almost epic fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost epic fail

I meant to share this last week but got busy at work after being off for two weeks. Let me start off by saying that I broke out the smokepole for this hunt. After Harvey, I haven't had the time to practice like I normally would. So I decided it best to leave the bow behind. I had been seeing a large buck for a few days in a row but I never could tell exactly how big he was. He was always in the cedars and judging him through the trees isn't very easy but I could tell he was nice. I decided to throw some alfalfa out by the feeder and see if I could interest him in a fine dining experience. My feeder is set up in a very small clearing of thick cedars so there is not a large area to worry about viewing. You can see movement away from the feeder but you never really know what is coming until they step out. This was my last chance hunting before returning to work and my fingers were crossed. I got to the stand late and rushed to get everything in order. I was only there a few minutes when I started seeing movement. First in was four axis does. They came in behind the feeder and to the far left. I had my rifle trained on the spot they came out of hoping the buck would accept my dinner invitation. After a long wait I saw him slowly making his way into the clearing. A few steps in, I had him in the scope and broadside. I am thinking "I got you now sucker". That's when I hear the worst sound ever, CLICK. I immediately thought the rifle must have misfired but then I remembered how late I was getting in the blind and that my dumb butt just didn't load it. I didn't mention earlier how close my blind is to the feeder but the buck informed me quickly of my mistake. This is when the stare down begins. Now I am in quite the pickle. Do I try to load the gun quickly and take advantage of every possible second knowing that thick cover is only a few steps away or do I wait him out and hope that he doesn't recognize danger and bolt? I decided that waiting would be my best option. I start to formulate a plan in my head of the next few critical moments while also cussing myself at the mistake I made. This is your typical seemed liked forever stare down but he eventually did start eating and I started the slow methodical process of loading a bullet quietly. This turned out be a harder task than I planned with deer close by and on alert. Once I closed the bolt, I placed the cross hairs on target and the plan turned into success. His mains taped out at 32-6/8" and 33-2/8" with an inside spread of 26-5/8". He even has an extra point on each side between the brow tine and main beam.
    Attached Files

Very nice

Comment

Nice axis. Glad it all came together

Comment

Dang nice animal. Congrats!

Comment

VERY NICE!! If no one else says it, we ALL have done that. "This is perfect" click... NOOO
          I thought from the first line you were hunting with a muzzle loader, that's where my mind goes with smoke pole. So obviously when you said you were considering loading there with the buck close I was interested in how you pulled it off. OBVIOUSLY not a muzzle loader. Congratulations again on a really nice Axis.

Comment

Great axis.... congrats!

Comment

Nice... glad it worked out for ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Congrats! Nice save! I like a happy ending to a good story!

Comment

Alls well ends well. Congrats on a fine lookin critter!

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                        I thought from the first line you were hunting with a muzzle loader, that's where my mind goes with smoke pole. So obviously when you said you were considering loading there with the buck close I was interested in how you pulled it.
                        Sorry for the confusion. It was difficult enough I can't imagine pulling it off with a muzzle loader.

Comment

Nice one! Congrats! Glad it worked out.

Comment

Very nice...Congratulations

Comment

Nice

Comment

Working...
                              X