No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My yard long beans I just planted have sprouted . Just have to keep my chickens and peacocks out of them .

Comment

Well our garden is about done except for the okra and a few squash plants. Still pullin' corn ears that never filled out well and feeding them to the chickens. Got enough purple hull peas dried for seed next year, but they all got wet this afternoon in a little shower we got. Soon as they dry, we'll pick 'em and put them away for next year. Sprayed weed killer on the parts of the garden that had gotten overrun with weeds. Will mow it all down then till it in and start the process all over again for next year. I hope to stay ahead of the weeds and such so next year won't be quite such a battle. I'll have to say, for the first garden for either of us since we were kids still living at home my wife and I sure have enjoyed it. We both learned a LOT and this thread has been such a HUUUGE help too!!

When do y'all start your Fall gardens? Think we'll probably just do maybe some fall squash and turnip greens and such... Can you do Fall peppers? Our peppers just never recovered this spring from all the rains...

We do have a real nice crop of primo-cane thornless blackberries coming on. Got almost enough for a fresh cobbler couple days ago. Dang berries are almost as big as a ping pong ball!! And they are sweeeeeeettt!! Gonna order a bunch more of those plants this spring!

Comment

Saltwater mines just now coming on strong. Mater's are plentiful and green, squash is putting out crazy, beets and carrots are producing. Getting a few cucumbers. Lettuce, peas and spinach have played out but been replanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          Man what the heck do you do with all those peppers?

Fermented sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any of you guys pressure can ?

Comment

We pressure canned some tomatoes.

Comment

Put together a fermented hot sauce today....
                We used a total of over 30lbs of peppers, 5lbs of which were ghost peppers.
                Now we just have to be patient for 3-4 months until it is ready.

Comment

Yup, maters... We also did some cukes into bread n butter pickles and dills...

Comment

Anyone got advice on moving tomato plants? My dog dug in the garden this spring and they ended up growing at the front instead of the back where I want them. Any tips on moving. There are 3 really close together and they are pretty dang big at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyAg97 View Post
                      Anyone got advice on moving tomato plants? My dog dug in the garden this spring and they ended up growing at the front instead of the back where I want them. Any tips on moving. There are 3 really close together and they are pretty dang big at this point.
                      I would just cut them back and transplant. Now is a good time with all of the moisture in the ground. Otherwise, just buy some transplants and put them where you want. Might have to baby them for the next month or so until it cools off a touch.

Comment

Cut this one yeatersay
                        Attached Files

Comment

Picked out first watermelon yesterday.

Comment

IkemanTX, I've never seen that done! I'm REALLY curious how this turns out!

Comment

Originally posted by rbsears View Post
                              IkemanTX, I've never seen that done! I'm REALLY curious how this turns out!

Well, I just put another one together....

This one is made with Carolina Reaper peppers, in the same proportions as the ghost pepper. Reapers can be up to 2 times hotter than the ghost peppers, so we shall see.

Comment

Man, looks like I can see that jar smokin'!!

Our garden is pretty much done... If we were to keep cuttin' the okra, it would keep producing. Plants are healthy and probably have 5 or 6 bushels of okra on them now that's all too big and hard to be used. We've put up all the okra we want, and neighbors n friends have cut all the okra they want... Think I'll brush hog it tomorrow or Sunday, rake it, then turn the ground under and start the process of getting it ready for a small fall garden...

What do y'all plant in your fall gardens? I've never done a fall garden... My mon/dad used to plant various greens, but really, that's about it. What else would be good to plant and when?

Comment

Working...
                                X