• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stud for sure

Comment

Great thread! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Summer is starting to set in with higher temps and dryer conditions. We were lucky in June with much milder temps and plenty of rain. But now the clover is showing some stress with brown patches and less growth. Suspect we are thru mowing it till Sept.

Now is when the beans and peas start to pay off as they have had vigorous growth and are looking good. The deer are starting to show up there much more now. The deer are also still hitting the vetch and Alyce very hard. Years past those crops would be 2-3 ft. tall by now. This year they are grazed to only a few inches. Thats new for me.

All of the deer are hitting the feeders very hard. Typically see does drifting by all during the day and bachelor groups of bucks at dark. With the cameras we are seeing the same bucks at several different feeders during the same night.

This starts one of the bigger stress periods for deer in the south with the high temps and in many cases food supply thinning out unless cultivars are available. Yet it is a critical time with does having high demand from fawns and bucks showing lots of weekly antler growth.

And yes, the bucks are looking really good!

Comment

What's that bucks name? Was he on last years video?

Comment

Very informative read. Just subscribed. Can't wait to see how the deer development continues.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyloMexico View Post
              What's that bucks name? Was he on last years video?
              I assume your talking about the last buck posted. Actually an old pic of a buck from '09. Never saw him after that season. He would be on the '09 video. Was a funky buck. For others reading this thread not a La. buck but one from brush country.

Comment

How did I miss this one. I'm watching

Comment

Great thread. Just read the whole thing.

Comment

Looking good!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow!

Comment

I think this could be his year!

Comment

You sir, have an impressive place for sure. Real Nice. So, to be able to grow these bucks to this size, you have done some great transferring of nutrients from plants to animals. So lets talk some more about the food you grow. You posted about the different clover blends you planted, and how they are now at the point of browning out, and so I will tell you I am experiencing the same thing with the browning or burning out (due to sun and heat) of my clover. But I have a honey hole spot that is about 1/3rd an acre of clover that is shaded for most of the day and receives about 4 hrs of direct sun. This clover continues to look good and should I just let it go til Sept and then reseed along with some Rye or what would you do here? And I am building some food plots now with a mulcher, The guy told me yesterday that it is the thickest stuff he has ever mulched in East Texas. And of the 3 plots I am doing, one will have some of the clover mix you have. But I wanted to ask if you have tried the Patriot Clover, from pictures and from what I have read , it produces a lot of clover forage and is used in bailing (feeding) for cattle. Since I don't want to waste my time and money on something that does not work, but I do like trying something different and I see where you also try new stuff. And like you also said the deer are in the beans and Peas

Comment

holy moly

Comment

wow good looking bucks on cam

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                                You sir, have an impressive place for sure. Real Nice. So, to be able to grow these bucks to this size, you have done some great transferring of nutrients from plants to animals. So lets talk some more about the food you grow. You posted about the different clover blends you planted, and how they are now at the point of browning out, and so I will tell you I am experiencing the same thing with the browning or burning out (due to sun and heat) of my clover. But I have a honey hole spot that is about 1/3rd an acre of clover that is shaded for most of the day and receives about 4 hrs of direct sun. This clover continues to look good and should I just let it go til Sept and then reseed along with some Rye or what would you do here? And I am building some food plots now with a mulcher, The guy told me yesterday that it is the thickest stuff he has ever mulched in East Texas. And of the 3 plots I am doing, one will have some of the clover mix you have. But I wanted to ask if you have tried the Patriot Clover, from pictures and from what I have read , it produces a lot of clover forage and is used in bailing (feeding) for cattle. Since I don't want to waste my time and money on something that does not work, but I do like trying something different and I see where you also try new stuff. And like you also said the deer are in the beans and Peas
                                There was a guy from the South on the QDMA forums that planted Patriot and Durana side by side and Durana was much more drought resistant and lasted much longer than the Patriot. It is really hard to beat Durana for the South.

Comment

Working...
                                X