No announcement yet.

Hill Country Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I second the spray foam. Seals any leaks or cracks, places that didn't fit up just right. Keeps out anything you don't want in.

Comment

Awesome build! Congrats on the new digs!! Definitely in for updates

Comment

Well I fired my 3rd GC, after he no showed me twice.

I think I found some guys to help me, finally. Had to import them from Lake Charles, and had to trade them more than a couple deer hunts, but they did some good work this past weekend. Got most of the interior electrical run and some of the outside. I bought a tub and wall kit, framed the bathroom and moved the stairs.

Hopefully the well will go in soon, then I can do the plumbing. Finish the electrical then will probably end yo spray foaming it. Anybody use, Mike M3 Insulation out of San Angelo? Had a buddy recommend him.
        Attached Files

Comment

Great thread! Nice build! How many acres do you have?

Comment

Just found this thread. Awesome place. I'm looking at getting one of these cabins as well. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Just found this after a short stalking session
              Looks great man, wish I would have started little by little. Hard to believe good help is so hard to find up there. 95% of the gringos my uncle hired up around Harper were about as worthless as tits on a boar hog. Where are you located?

Comment

I am by Cherry Springs. Regarding the help, I think it is a few things. First the area is growing with all kinds of people moving out there. So most of the GCs can pick and choose what they want to work on. Second when they see me call with a 713 area code, they think it will be a high profit job. Then they see what I need done and that I am not just going to write checks, they end up bailing on me. I also think I was spoiled by the guy that built the cabin, he did a great job.

I will let you know when the well goes in.

Comment

Looks like a perfect cabin. I would use an electric on demand water heater. I run 2 eco smarts at our camp and they are great.

I looked into installing mini splits, but the cost was a lot more than a conventional AC and Heat pump.

Comment

Beautiful area! We stayed in a cabin on Drop Tine ranch last year during the rut, no one was injured but it wasn't from lack of effort [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Coming along nicely. Congrats!

Comment

CONGRATS!..imagine a cup of coffee on that porch

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                          Second when they see me call with a 713 area code, they think it will be a high profit job.
                          Definitely a lot of that issue in that area. I had a guy that was going to building me a barndo. I had a friend that just built his own (he's a GC) so I knew exactly what it cost him. The GC I was going with did great, he was right in line with everything I was expecting...

Until he priced in the interior build out, a piece he was completely subbing out.

$178k for 1000-1200 sqft of space. Interior buildout alone. Not slab, not electrical, just putting up the walls, drywall, kitchen, and 1 bathroom.

I told him that I have a number of friends that are builders that told me they do luxury homes for 1/3 that and he just said, "Well, that's my price."

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Nice! My wife and sister are looking at cabins for our place. We are going to get two and put them side by side. Currently working on septic permits and finding a storm shelter. Our well, cross fence and some seeding was cost shared with the soil conservation service.

Comment

Been jealous of yall that have been slamming through yalls cabins/house.

Been a bit slow going on my end. I got engaged at the property a few months ago, so the cabin has taken a bit of a back seat to a couple of things.

Got the cabin wired. Hopefully have a guy that lined up to install the ACs. Well just got drilled, and have a plumber lined up to run the plumbing. Well is 700' with about 120 GPM.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X