Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome...I'm in!

Comment

As others have said, great testimony, Gar Guy. I wish you the very best of luck with this dig. Those Wells are nice, but I'm anxious to see some giant Scottsbluffs you pull out of there!

Keep up the great work!

Comment

Man, this thread has sure gotten my full attention. Gonna have to go pick up a sifter.
        Never tried digging for artifacts before, but I will now.

Great thread and stories.

Comment

locked in.

I'm hooked!

Comment

I think someone here needs to donate their ranch in the hill country for a TBH artifact dig.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
              I think someone here needs to donate their ranch in the hill country for a TBH artifact dig.
              Ditto!

Comment

Well its a holiday and we have a ton of stuff going on. Lots of veterans in my family that have gone on before us. I did have to put a new belt on the sifter and really needed to finish my drainage cut so we decided to run up there and get that done. Had to find a belt asd the one I had was wrong and didnt get started till 10. I started digging my cut and figured i might as well see what was in it. I got way down toward the creek and hit a nice flat spot that looked unnatural. I noticed it the other day when I was clearing the woods off it.

I told dad I wanted to dig a couple of buckets and see if there was anything in it. I put a bucket in the sifter and went to get another. when i came back, dad had 2 arrowheads in his mouth and one in his hand! That spot was full of stuff! Long story but it turned out to be five feet deep and a big spot! Most of the stuff was sorry material but we found about 60 points in 2 hours.

I did find a damaged paleo point and a rough Scotts bluff. Kinda rare to see a Scotty made of poor petrified wood but the median ridge and heavy basal grinding confirm it. One edge is broken off. Also found a cool Catahoula arrow point. I cant wait to get back. Probably late monday.

Comment

here we go
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by GarGuy; 05-26-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

This thread is great! I'm gonna be looking forward to this. Please, please keep it going. Thanks for sharing your story, you never know how you may help somebody else with words like that.

Comment

Originally posted by simmentalover View Post
                      Subscribed to this!

Have you ever dug any Blackland Gumbo land? We have a place in Kaufman Co, thick black clay, it is overlooking a creek draining into the east fork of the Trinity. I may have to start some digging to see if there are any artifacts on our hill. I am guessing I will have to water screen though, because of the clay, any thoughts?

Kelly
                      Yes I have dug black gumbo in the Trinity bottom. When it is just the right texture, it sifts fine. Otherwise it is either too hard to dig or too gummy to sift. Now that being said, most really good sites in blachland have sand from the indians leveling floors in lodges. Chances are if you have a site you can see a much lighter dirt and it maynsift fine.

Comment

Great stuff GarGuy. Started read-n Thursday evening. I'm looking forward to Monday's report . Can hardly wait .

Comment

Most of those points looks to be made from petrified wood!

Comment

Great stuff.

Comment

Amazing! Glad its "panning" out for u

Comment

Tagged for later

Comment

Working...
                                X