Feeder motor help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder motor help needed

So I have a 12v feeder. Sunday I put a new Foeverlast Timer and Foreverlast 12v Solar Panel on it.
    Had a newer, bought last year,12v battery I thought was charged. Put it in the feeder, hooked it up. Timer shows 4 bars charge. I mash the test button, timer display goes dim and nothing else. I look at display, 6V icon is displayed. I push the reset button it reads 12V. I mash test button. Same thing, display dims and nothing happens. I mash it again and spin plate with my hand. Nothing
    I put battery on charger till Monday night. Try again with same results.

I break out my back up battery, not sure how old it is, it shows 1 bar charge @ timer. I mash test button with same results. I mash it and try to spin by hand. Nothing.

Spent the last hour trying to find out how to test the motor to see if it's bad.

So far I haven't been able to find anything.
    Will an Ohms test tell me? If so OL means it's bad? My Multimeter is @ work

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Buy a new battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
      Buy a new battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      This, and possibly a new timer.

Comment

sounds like battery to me to, if you want to test the motor, use the battery on you truck. Using a multimeter to check a battery is not very useful. it will read 12+volts and still not carry a load. you need load tester

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

Spent the last hour trying to find out how to test the motor to see if it's bad.
          Hook the motor up directly to a battery charger if it spins, it's good.

Comment

Thank you all

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Originally posted by TXRebel View Post
              Hook the motor up directly to a battery charger if it spins, it's good.

This, but you just connect the motor leads directly to your battery to check it. Could be defective timer, I've had that happen.

Comment

Do you have one of the timer units that has it's own battery in it (like a flat style watch battery)? I've had the same issue several times and have learned to check all the possible options on battery locations and conditions. Also, check your ground and all connections.
                Good luck.

Comment

A couple of other things; Does the motor spin freely, with just the resistance of the armature passing by the stator magnets? Is the commutator free of tarnish or corrosion? How do the brushes look? The fact that the display on the timer dims means something is drawing current (i.e. mechanical resistance from the motor) or the commutator may be shorted closed.

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by GIL HUNTS View Post
                    Do you have one of the timer units that has it's own battery in it (like a flat style watch battery)? I've had the same issue several times and have learned to check all the possible options on battery locations and conditions. Also, check your ground and all connections.
                    Good luck.
                    I'm not sure if the timer has a battery. It's a Foreverlast I bought Saturday.

Comment

Foreverlast has a fuse and a battery.

Comment

Originally posted by cricman View Post
                        A couple of other things; Does the motor spin freely, with just the resistance of the armature passing by the stator magnets? Is the commutator free of tarnish or corrosion? How do the brushes look? The fact that the display on the timer dims means something is drawing current (i.e. mechanical resistance from the motor) or the commutator may be shorted closed.

cricman
                        It spins freely.
                        I had a 6V that wouldn't spin. Some 3 in 1 oil fixed that.
                        Not sure what a commutator is.

I also was thinking that something was drawing power since the display dims. The 2 options I came up with was weak/low battery or bad motor.

Comment

Even if the timer has a battery in it and it's dead, that shouldn't be the problem as every timer I've seen that has a battery in it, the battery is only to keep the times when you unhook from the main 6V or 12V battery. My bet it's your motor but a bad battery will do the same thing. If it was me, I would just by a new motor, new timer and new battery. Then just start swapping them out until you fix the problem. It's always good to keep a spare on you so you can fix the problem ASAP. Then when you find the part that is bad, buy that new part so you will still have a spare. I run a lot of feeders so I usually have at least 3 spares of each. When a feeder stops working, the first thing I do is change the battery, If that doesn't fix it, I then swap out the timer, if that doesn't fix it, I will unplug the motor and plug in the new motor and test. If that new motor spins, I then swap out the motor. The motor is the biggest pain to switch so that is why it's last in my test and why I test the new motor before I install it. Most of the time it's pretty easy to tell if the motor is bad simply by spinning it by hand. If it's locked up or hard to turn then it's bad. Sure, sometimes you can free the motor up with some sort of lube but usually it will lock up again later. I just replace them when they are locked up because it's just not worth it to me to take a chance on it locking up again at the most inconvenient time.

Comment

I think everyone has you covered so far. But try not to use any kind of liquid type lubricant. A dry lube is usually better. Comes in a can spray on the liquid dries off and you leave a dry lubricant. Keeps corn dust from sticking back in motor and getting clogged up again causing more problems and more strain on the new battery you put in.

Comment

Guessing a weak battery. Had that problem with one of mine on the timer. showed full charge on the battery but when I tested it the motor would barely spin. Pulled the battery and one battery terminal was so corroded that it broke off when I took the connector off. Put a new battery in and back in business.

Comment

Working...
                              X