No announcement yet.

Building an bolt action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have built savages and Remington's. Use remage barrels and nuts for rem 700 actions. Buy either action and its the same process. Screw barrel into action, head space, tighten nut. Tools needed are vice, nut wrench, go/nogo gauges.
    I buy barrels from criterion directly and sometimes off eBay.
    Watch utube videos for "how to" process.
    I buy after market triggers. I buy most stocks(he precision) from eBay and gun forums(like this one).
    All rifles I've assembled for my own use have shot 1" or less 3 shot groups.
    The savage is the most flexible as you can change out bolt heads and followers if you later decide to rebarrel to a different caliber(ex.223 to 308). You have to change out complete bolts for Remington's.
    In summary...its not hard to do but you will end up spending $750-$800 for all the tools and components for your first build.
    Fyi..U can buy custom built barrels on eBay. Do a search on "remage barrel". The Wilson barrels I've have had built are excellent. Best priced remage nuts are sold by pacific tool and gauge.
    Bolt actions are a lot easier to build that ARs.

Comment

Originally posted by j.trevor123 View Post
      Just want a very nice rifle and save money.. not sure if it’s worth it or not.
      Well you wont save money, but it will be worth it

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Heavy 7 mag with a break loaded to 7-08 velocity.

No recoil makes sense
        Just build a 7mm08

Comment

Working...
        X