Hilltop pig hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hilltop pig hunt

Heading up tomorrow, going to try and be in stand 1 hr before feeder goes off, hunt till dark, do some fishing, and hunt in the morning.

Think I should leave everything as it's been or toss a bag of corn on the ground as incentive? First time hunting a feeder, can't decide.

Throw some hand corn out. I don't think it will hurt. I also don't think it's necessary since you have a feeder they have been coming to

Comment

Leave it like it's been. If you have to throw corn out, make sure you don't touch it with your hands and throw it as far as possible keeping your scent away from the feed area. Yes you can get away with it by just walking in and dumping it but you are increasing your chances of getting busted by doing it. I personally will not do it, I make sure my feeders throw enough corn.

Comment

Yeah, thinking I'll leave it be unless I hunt through the night, just because my feeders not set for throwing after 7pm.

Comment

Well I think they caught wind of my scent on the ground, they came within 10 yds of me but out of shooting lane. They hid in the tree cover rooting for a while then slunked back, didn't bolt like I had been made which was curious. Atleast they're around, excited to get up there some more and stick one.

Comment

Where is your lot?

Comment

Out on redbud towards the mail road. If you get on from mail road, just past the bend, lot 15.

Comment

On that note, heard an interesting noise. Was waiting for stuff to show up at the feeder, and once it went off while the squirrels and such were running around picking at corn, heard some heavy breathing. First time explicitly targeting hogs so thought maybe it was a pig waiting stuff out, but never heard any other pig noise and it just kinda stopped. Had to double check whether it was my own breathing, but just kept going at a standard pace. This was about 2 hours to dark, before I definitely heard pigs come in. Never heard it again. Honestly could have been someone working on their lot lol just wondering what it was.

Comment

I remember strange noises when I had my lot there. Some birds that sound like howler monkeys. Also was nearly scared out of the tree stand once by a huge owl that decided to buzz me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Smart pigs do that. Sneak in silently and if you're close you can hear breathing. Usually that means they smell you and they stand still hoping you just walked through. Once your smell doesn't dissipate they silently walk off.

Comment

If you want to kill hard hunted pigs, always sneak in like you're hunting sneaky deer, NEVER get near the feeder, don't throw extra corn, leave it as normal as possible. Go in 45 minutes early. The silly things lay in the shade or any water, downwind of the feeders for HOURS before the feeder spins. I mean, they have exactly nothing else to do, no snapchats, most of them can only function with a jitterbug phone and they have limited email access.

To clarify, for hard hunted pigs. Some ranches you can drive around spill beer on the road and play music while throwing corn around. That is super fun.

Comment

Interesting, good info. I had gotten in the stand 2 hours early just to observe what all was out there, wondering if the heat making me sweat was working against me being there that early.

Comment

Working...
                        X