No announcement yet.

Neighbor wants us to help pay for his high fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/2 of the low fence cost would be the right thing to do. He pays the rest for the high fence cost.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
      I agree with you, .....

Typically high fences are set-back into the property so there is a brush strip to maintain on the outside. Thus, they aren't on the property boundary, and even more reason for you not to split the bill. .....
      ^^ This. Always remember to be polite, though. Politely say, "no".

My neighbor years ago wanted to put up a new low fence. I offered the material, because I just simply couldn't do anything as far as costs or labor. He said wanted a pipe fence and had very specific things he wanted in regards to it. I told him he obviously had resources that I did not and again offered my material. He smiled and said not to worry and "...if I let him build it his way, he didn't mind paying for all of it." We are still very good neighbors to each other.

Comment

Everyone saying he should let himself be high fenced into the neighbor's place think this is a smart move? You are betting on good game management, never having a new owner for the other place, etc. What if he wants to put in an exotic and hog hunting operation for day hunters like we read about often on here? Could turn out like a really bad marriage that you can't get out of.

Comment

Willing to pay half only if both parties benefit and I see no benefit for you, been in the same boat! I'd go sit on my ranger and drink cold beer and watch. You could offer him a cold one every now and then to be neighborly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Say NO to all

Comment

Tell him you can't afford it and if he can't afford a high fence he doesnt need one anyway. He'll build it out of shear pride and spite at that point.

Comment

If you were already going to replace the fence I'd split the price of a new low fence, if not I wouldn't help.

Comment

Hail no I wouldn't pay one cent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Somewhere I heard they are supposed to run deer out before the final enclosing, but have never heard of it being done. Maybe have a pallet of corn ready and start corning heck out your place when they start the fence.

Comment

sounds like trump

Comment

Unbelievable he would even ask you that.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
                          Haven't read all the responses but we border a Hf on one side . Most come off property line and have a right away they own between them. We still have our bw fence , a lane he owns and then his hf. If I wanted to hf mine in future - without his permission to tie my corners into his with hf gates - he could say no and I would have to fence if all my side

If directly on line - i would offer to pay 1/2 what normal 5 strand fence you had would be ....and keep on good terms If his fence is off the line - I would want to know if he would let you tie to it in future if had to? If felt he would then still may make same iffef
                          I agree with this post.

If he wants to high fence is property then he has the money and he can set it back 50' to 100'. Then he can put blinds and feeders and let the kids hunt the open pasture. And more then likely "Whats Brown is Down" management.

I would offer 1/2 of a BW fence. I think thats fair.

Comment

I'd tell him "ain't now way" or nuts, kinda like that officer during WWII when asked to surrender.

Comment

Texas is not a fence out state. It is up to the county. Some are fence in some are fence out. Sometimes it differs within a county.

Comment

It sounds like at the time he ask he did not know your stance on high fence. You could have very well said yes we were wanting to high fence our 175 acres. You would have only had to pay half on 3 sides and full price on one. It didn't hurt to ask. Now he knows your position. If he sets back 12 feet from the property line and high fences and then takes his low fence down over to the property line. You will have to maintain your entire fence to keep your cattle off the road. I understand why some hate high fence but it depends on the side of the fence you are on.

Comment

Working...
                                X