No announcement yet.

Altitude Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just spent a week in CO at 10,000+ feet and suffered from altitude sickness pretty much the whole week. They sell those cans pretty much everywhere. Gas stations, grocery stores, sporting goods stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      This is probably what he is talking about:

I bought a few cans to take to Angel Fire since we stay at ~8900 ft, and it is easy to get short of breath. Lots of flatlander skiers and hikers use these when they are not adjusted to the altitude. The jury is still out for me as to whether they work or not.

Yep. That’s it. I thought it was a joke too. Helped me a little. I would imagine it helps when you’re playing sports.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

Exactly what came to my mind. [emoji23]

Comment

Doubtful it will help much. He’s young and should acclimate quickly. Get there early if you can. Buy the canned air for you and the missus. I visited Colorado to ski fairly often over the years and while I noticed the altitude I never needed more than a day to acclimate. Fast forward to my late 40’s and a totally different experience. Sleeplessness, shortness of breath while sleeping. I was miserable the week we spent last time and leary about the next time I go. I may try that canned air...

I saw some of it at the Sun & Ski off Anderson Ln in Austin.

Best of luck to your team!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I visited Colorado to ski fairly often over the years and while I noticed the altitude I never needed more than a day to acclimate. Fast forward to my late 40’s and a totally different experience. Sleeplessness, shortness of breath while sleeping. I was miserable the week we spent last time and leary about the next time...

Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Exact same deal for me. Depressing.

Comment

The younger you are the easier it is to deal with. I came up here hunting in my 20's and it was no big deal, I came back in my 30's and it was tough. I moved up here at 50 and it took me months to truly acclimate to it. Headaches, dehydration...

Make sure you all drink a lot of water. That was my biggest issue. Always have a good supply of water with you.

Comment

[quote=brysdad;13480421]
                  Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

Any suggestions on this? We’re the only out of state team in our bracket so we’re behind the 8 ball going in just due to altitude.

Acli-mate
                  Nuun
                  Wilderness Athlete hydrate and recovery

WA tastes the best

Comment

Was in Colorado 2 weeks ago. In the mountains, the canned air is at all the local grocery stores, sporting goods, etc.

Comment

Hydration and lots of carbs for them.
                      The air is everywhere now, even in our hardware stores.

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                        I visited Colorado to ski fairly often over the years and while I noticed the altitude I never needed more than a day to acclimate. Fast forward to my late 40’s and a totally different experience. Sleeplessness, shortness of breath while sleeping. I was miserable the week we spent last time and leary about the next time...

Tapatalk

Exact same deal for me. Depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Glad it’s not just me. Love the mountains but the mountains don’t love me.

Comment

I did an Ironman at the age of 35 in Boulder Colorado and it didnt affect me. I dont think a young man in shape will have an issue. Actually the ball will "jump" off the bat due to the thinner air.

Comment

I thought this was funny a couple years ago when I took the pic, now I guess its sold everywhere.

Speaking of sold everywhere, another funny pic I took that trip. "Gas" station was completely out of gasoline, but had cars at every pump. They were all inside getting "grass".

Plenty of diesel though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

When I was a kid going out to Colorado I'd often get altitude sickness, even ended up in the ER one time. I had a doctor prescribe Diamox which essentiall speed up your breathing a little bit allowing you to have more oxygen in your system preventing altitude sickness. Never got sick again. Affects your taste buds a little but it's better than the ER.

Comment

Originally posted by Stins View Post
                                I did an Ironman at the age of 35 in Boulder Colorado and it didnt affect me. I dont think a young man in shape will have an issue. Actually the ball will "jump" off the bat due to the thinner air.
                                Location is relative. Boulder isn’t that high it’s 5430’. If they are playing at USAFA, those fields are at 7250’.

Comment

Working...
                                X