Food Plot Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plot Schedule

We have traditionally planted different types of food plots on our property. We normally run 4-5 small plots. Some with sunflower for dove then cut down and planted with something for the deer in the winter, and some fulltime deer plots.

My question is: Does anyone have a schedule they like to follow and would like to share? What they plant, when they plant, when to shred and replant? etc..

We've never had anything laid out and are trying to get better about it.

Thanks

Weather and time dictates my schedule in spring and fall. That being said we will usually start prepping our 10 acre Food Plot in late August/early Sept. Usually don't plant until first week or two in Oct.
    Last edited by BrandonA; 04-19-2018, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I’d like to see this too with the understanding weather plays a part in it.

Comment

Moisture is always king. If it ain’t there and no chance of it don’t waste time, money and fuel.
        But if it is “typically “ in my north eastern Texas area

I just finished spraying today
        They will sit 14 days (usually)
        When I have a window of moisture @ 14 days and beyond I plant
        Typically I plant 1-2 week of May. Any earlier and too much risk of cold weather fronts, much later it gets to dry to allow good fast growth.
        I plant iron & clay peas only,... because in all my planting, tests, and experience nothing will out produce it balanced with preference and tonnage per acre.
        I ave started adding left over sunflowers from dove fields just for something for the vine to climb on, but honestly can’t tell a difference and it don’t cost me anything

Fall:
        Spray 1-2nd week of September
        Plant typically last week of September- mid October
        Really depends on moisture here and army worms
        Bob oats, wheat, and more i&c peas.... maybe a very small amount of winter peas (not a big fan), but good for soil

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Moisture is always king. If it ain’t there and no chance of it don’t waste time, money and fuel.
          But if it is “typically “ in my north eastern Texas area

I just finished spraying today
          They will sit 14 days (usually)
          When I have a window of moisture @ 14 days and beyond I plant
          Typically I plant 1-2 week of May. Any earlier and too much risk of cold weather fronts, much later it gets to dry to allow good fast growth.
          I plant iron & clay peas only,... because in all my planting, tests, and experience nothing will out produce it balanced with preference and tonnage per acre.
          I ave started adding left over sunflowers from dove fields just for something for the vine to climb on, but honestly can’t tell a difference and it don’t cost me anything

Fall:
          Spray 1-2nd week of September
          Plant typically last week of September- mid October
          Really depends on moisture here and army worms
          Bob oats, wheat, and more i&c peas.... maybe a very small amount of winter peas (not a big fan), but good for soil
          Thanks, Low Fence. That's helpful.

Comment

Something to keep in mind when spraying for weeds, especially in the fall. You are killing your summer weeds which are going to die anyways. The only benefit is it loosens the soil making it easier to work. Same goes if your spraying to kill your fall plot it's going to die anyways. We shred and disc and fertilize heavy. We could come back in a spray for winter weeds once the start coming up but do to the fertilizer blend we use it takes care of most weeds for us.
            Last edited by BrandonA; 04-19-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I agree with low fence on the moisture with one exception. In the fall, if it's very dry, as it often is, I'm gonna plant wheat and winter peas in the dust the first to middle of September anyway. If there's not enough moisture to germinate, they will lay in the ground until there is. That's the way nature does it.

Spring crops I plant after the soil warms consistently to 60* and the moisture is right. Some of my plots will plant next week, but a couple are still too wet right now.

Comment

Fall planting-clover/chicory-oct 1st usually
                Spring-the clover/chicory comes in strong since planted in fall-it fades during peak summer and then we plant oats in the fall and does good thru winter and then we mow it down short before spring and clover chicory pops out again. Usually repeat but might try something new this year after watching el gato and Gabe brown

Other fields

Late April to early may-Soybeans when soil temp stays above 65 and after last frost.
                Oct 1st-Usually a fall mix of some sort and repeat but again might try to add some diversity

Comment

What about for a dove field? When do I need to plant?

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                    May 14th
                    110 days to mature and that will put you at sept 1st

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                      I too plant black oil and pearl head millet 2nd week of May. Sunflowers mature around 90 days as well as millet 90-110 I think. I usually don’t give a &$&% if they are ready by sept 1 and they truly are not most of the time. We don’t have the birds then and I’m out west shooting them. But mid to late sept they will shatter with a small breeze blowing and that’s when I hunt locally. I let the weekend warrior groups do all my work pushing every flock around to my heavily fresh dried seed playground and enjoy some hunts with my dad

Comment

This is great. Thanks guys.

Comment

I planted some milo, millet and sunflowers this week. Last year I mixed them all together but this year I planted them in separate sections right next to each other in the same field. We are expecting an inch of rain tonight and tomorrow. I prefer most of it mature in August so I can start mowing a few strips in it two weeks ahead of opening weekend. I will mow some each week until the middle of September when I will plow the plots and get ready to plant my fall plat the first or second week of October.

Comment

Been good rain this year so far I wish I'd have gotten something in the ground already.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                              I planted some milo, millet and sunflowers this week. Last year I mixed them all together but this year I planted them in separate sections right next to each other in the same field. We are expecting an inch of rain tonight and tomorrow. I prefer most of it mature in August so I can start mowing a few strips in it two weeks ahead of opening weekend. I will mow some each week until the middle of September when I will plow the plots and get ready to plant my fall plat the first or second week of October.
                              I planted on the 20th also. From what I am reading above I may have planted too early but that's ok.
                              Wanted to plant same time as my deer plots and got 1.25 inches the next day

Comment

Working...
                              X