Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      The trailer is not likely 240V.

If it’s a 50 amp cord it is
      Not surprising with 2 ACs

Trailers are 30amp 120v or 50amp 240

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Travel trailer power question

If the breaker that is labeled hot tub is available I would change that out to a non-GFCI breaker 50 amp two pole, and go to Home Depot and buy a 50 amp RV connection box. It will have what you need with it.

Three #6 with a #10 ground will be the wire size you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Mike D; 05-30-2018, 06:26 AM.

Comment

If its a 50 amp service trailer, it should be 240 volts. Run #6 to a RV box, and power it up. You may have an issue with the GFCI breaker though.

Comment

Plugs on RVs with 30 amp service and 50 amp service differ in design.

A 30 amp plug has three prongs – a 120 volt hot wire, a neutral wire and a ground wire – and is generally used on RVs with lower load requirements.

A 50 amp plug has four prongs – two 120 volt hot wires, a neutral wire and a ground wire – that supply two separate 50 amp, 120 volt feeds.

A 50 amp service RV provides a maximum 12,000 watts.

Even with an adapter, your 30 amp service RV won’t receive more power than the 3,600 watts it can handle.

Conversely, if you use an adapter for a 50 amp RV, you’ll be limited to 3,600 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
              If it’s a 50 amp cord it is
              Not surprising with 2 ACs

Trailers are 30amp 120v or 50amp 240

This is correct.

Comment

Welp I installed a 240v 50a plug to my 2 pole 50a circuit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8C863A18-6B12-4078-AB70-DAEF1C99D121.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	24542229

Click image for larger version

Name:	477FAD6B-A4CB-4B42-B15E-EAED90D39ACB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	24542230

Now I need to figure out where to find about an 80’ 50amp RV extension cord to run for the RV to the back porch

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

[ATTACH]910475[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]910476[/ATTACH]

Now I need to figure out where to find about an 80’ 50amp RV extension cord to run for the RV to the back porch
                  Build one. If you have an electric co-op buy wire from them and just add ends ( gonna be pricey either way you go)

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                    Build one. If you have an electric co-op buy wire from them and just add ends ( gonna be pricey either way you go)

This. I went to summit electric and built my welder extension cord.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      I think I can borrow one from another contact, but building isn’t a bad option either

Comment

PM sent

Comment

I have a 2 pole circuit breaker, each with 50 amps that is unused. Is there anyway I can convert this circuit to power the camper? It currently has standard outlets. Are there adapters I can connect to a standard outlet that adapt to a 50 amp plug for the camper? Or can I rewire the outlet for a 50 amp service outlet for the camper?
                          First, using that 50 amp 2 pole breaker to power "standard outlets" is not safe.
                          No, there is no adapter that will turn a 15 or 20 amp 120V outlet into a 50A 240V outlet.
                          If your camper plug is 50A it is 240. It's easy to tell since it will have three conductor prongs plus a ground.
                          Prolly looks like this:

That hot tub breaker will work. May have issues because it's GFCI. Two hots (one from each pole of the breaker) a neutral and a ground will git er done.
                          80 feet is no problem.
                          No. 6 AWG is recommended. No. 8 will get you by.
                          Last edited by meltingfeather; 06-12-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

The plug might be 240 but the trailer will be 120. It’ll have two separate 120 legs powering the trailer 6000w each. One will power one ac and some accessories and the other leg will power the other ac and accessories but they won’t be tied together supplying 240 to a/c’s.

Very rarely will one be 240 only high end normally if then.

Comment

[ATTACH]910475[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]910476[/ATTACH]

Just concluding this thread, this all worked. Powered up the Camper last night via 100’ of 50 amp extension cords running from my back porch to my front curb.

Have a guy we go to church with sells RV’s he loaned the extensions, those things are ‘spensive!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X