Bobcat or Ocelot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Male bobcat. Look at the ears!! Too big for Ocelot
    Last edited by Fishndude; 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

here is an ocelot. plus this link to 70 pics of them.
      Download 689 Ocelot images and stock photos. Fotosearch - The World's Stock Photography - One Web Site TM
      Attached Files

Comment

Its a imature ocelot ,the bobcat has tufted ears and and their rossettes are not defined by the by the distintive black markings also Ocelots have a much thinner coat and they dont have the belly fur common on the bobcat.Just google ocelot and you can distinguish between the pelt differnces.Sorry just my 2 cents as a wildlife biologists major.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
          ocelots have long tails.

unless he got caught in the engine fan of a buick when he was a baby, like a cat we had when I was a kid..... it's just a bobcat

a very cool looking bobcat though
          x2

Comment

Looks like half bobcat and half ocelot to me

Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pence View Post
              Its a imature ocelot ,the bobcat has tufted ears and and their rossettes are not defined by the by the distintive black markings also Ocelots have a much thinner coat and they dont have the belly fur common on the bobcat.Just google ocelot and you can distinguish between the pelt differnces.Sorry just my 2 cents as a wildlife biologists major.
              Well when you took mammalogy you'll remember.....

Ocelot: A medium-sized, spotted and blotched cat with a moderately long tail; about the size of a bobcat but spots much larger, tail much longer, and pelage shorter; differs from the jaguar in much smaller size and in presence of parallel black stripes on nape and oblique stripes near shoulder; upperparts grayish or buffy, heavily marked with blackish spots, small rings, blotches, and short bars; underparts white, spotted with black; tail spotted, and ringed with black; both sexes colored alike. Dental formula as in the mountain lion. External measurements average: (males), total length, 1,135 mm; tail, 355 mm; hind foot, 157 mm; (females), 930-285-135 mm. Weight, 10-15 kg.

Bobcat: A medium-sized, short-tailed, reddish brown or grayish cat about the size of a chow dog; upperparts reddish brown, streaked with black; underparts whitish, spotted with black; back of ears black-rimmed, with white in center; ears usually slightly tufted; hair on sides of head long, producing a ruff; pelage elsewhere rather short; tail usually shorter than hind foot; the tip black above and white below, with three or four blackish bars above just in front of tip; legs relatively long; feet large, with five toes in front, four behind. Dental formula: I 3/3, C 1/1, Pm 2/2, M 1/1 X 2 = 28. External measurements average: (males); total length, 870 mm; tail, 146 mm; hind foot, 171 mm; females, 772-144-158 mm. Weight of adults, 5-9 kg, occasionally as much as 16 kg in old animals.

Another thing to remember is he took the TC in McMullen Co. I've noticed in South Texas bobcats pelts are not as Fuzzy as they're northern counter parts.
              Last edited by Russ81; 10-14-2008, 06:05 PM.

Comment

have you gotten to "tails" yet in your coursework?

I understand what you're saying about the pelts... but all you have to do is look at the tail...

Comment

Absolutely awesome looking bobcat!!! One of the prettiest ive ever seen

Comment

Nice pics.

Comment

bobcat

Comment

Ocelot

Comment

something doesnt look right to me...bobcat...ocelot,,, chupacabra cross

Comment

Nicely marked Bobcat.

Comment

Here is a picture of a male bobcat I got as well. No question about this one.
                              Attached Files

Comment

The biggest give away is the ears on this bobcat, not to mention the tail.....no way this is an ocelot.......

Comment

Working...
                                X