Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a bareshaft centripetally oscillate when shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not slow motion, but here is a good clocking video by Nestly from AT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY70S2ze8ew

Comment

Somebody needs to give Eric (enewman) a call.. he is missing out

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
        Here is an article by Donnie Thacker on clocking, he is a top shooter who uses clocking in his arrow tuning process.

Arrow Clocking by Donnie Thacker
        what is disappointing is that there is no explanation on what causes it or to what degree... just an archer's observation and an assumption that fletching to accommodate it is better than not caring.

yep... consider me disappointed.

gonna have to go fling some arrows to make me feel better about the whole situation now.

Comment

sweetinlow660... Best answer by FAR!!!! And Scott... I knew you'd be ALL over this one! I, for one, am VERY particular bout the way my bow is shootin/tuned... But this takes it to a whole nother level of !!Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

[ATTACH]880334[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thank yall for the responses and constructive input.

Im gonna digest this for several days. I got busy and still working through the posted videos.

God bless. Have a good day.

Comment

Yes, it is called clocking, and there is no way to know for sure which way a shaft is going to clock (rotate).

Clocking is when we make a mark on the bareshaft, say at the top when it is nocked on the string, then shoot it into a target and see which way the mark has rotated. Some shafts will rotate clockwise and some will rotate anticlockwise, even from the same dozen. I have found the vast majority will rotate one way or the other.

For example, I may have nine shafts rotate clockwise and three rotate anticlockwise from the same dozen.

Some people will put the helical on to match the shafts natural rotation. IOW, a clockwise rotating shaft will get right helical and visa versa.

I believe the general consensus is that it doesn't matter which way you fletch the shaft in relation to its natural rotation; but instead fletch the shaft for the best clearance and stabilization.
                So how is it determined if the arrow rotated i.e. 90 degrees clockwise or 270 degrees counterclockwise? They would look alike. Serious question but I suspect the answers will not be.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                  So how is it determined if the arrow rotated i.e. 90 degrees clockwise or 270 degrees counterclockwise? They would look alike. Serious question but I suspect the answers will not be.
                  As I said earlier, one cannot know, only infer. But if you watch the Nestly video I posted it is a pretty strong inference.

Comment

Lousy internet here so I try to avoid videos. I will see if it works.

Comment

Interesting but if that is all that an arrow rotates in that distance it doesn't appear to be much of a factor at the distances I shoot at. In fact, as little rotation as I see coming from the left helical I might as well stick with straight fletches. If it were turning several rotations it might make a difference.

Comment

Go Astros!!!!

Comment

They done good.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Y'all need a hobby...unless this is it...in which case y'all need a scan ..of some type.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                              Interesting but if that is all that an arrow rotates in that distance it doesn't appear to be much of a factor at the distances I shoot at. In fact, as little rotation as I see coming from the left helical I might as well stick with straight fletches. If it were turning several rotations it might make a difference.
                              The idea behind clocking is that the faster you can get an arrow to stabilize the more accurate it will be in the long run. This is also what Donnie Thacker states in his article.

Convention holds that if an arrow wants to naturally rotate clockwise then it should be fletched to rotate that direction. What would happen if it were fletched the other direction? In the slow motion video, which I have not been able to find, you can clearly see that the arrow does start to turn clockwise as it comes off the string before the control surfaces take over and start the rotation anticlockwise. Whereas the one fletched with the natural rotation doesn't have to stop the natural rotation before it begins to turn in the direction of the fletching.

There is a noticeable difference in the time it takes the arrow to start rotating in the direction of the fletching between the two shafts.

Is it enough to matter? Each shooter must answer that for themselves.

In the Nestly video you can see that the left wing arrow had made a full rotation at 15 feet whereas the right wing arrow had not yet overcome the arrow's natural rotation yet. It isn't until he shoots at 20 feet that the right wing arrow is back to it's starting position, which means the fletching are only starting to correct the arrows rotation at this distance. So, somewhere between 15 and 20 feet the right wing arrow makes an almost 40° correction. That's a pretty significant distance.

Comment

The idea behind clocking is that the faster you can get an arrow to stabilize the more accurate it will be in the long run. This is also what Donnie Thacker states in his article.

Convention holds that if an arrow wants to naturally rotate clockwise then it should be fletched to rotate that direction. What would happen if it were fletched the other direction? In the slow motion video, which I have not been able to find, you can clearly see that the arrow does start to turn clockwise as it comes off the string before the control surfaces take over and start the rotation anticlockwise. Whereas the one fletched with the natural rotation doesn't have to stop the natural rotation before it begins to turn in the direction of the fletching.

There is a noticeable difference in the time it takes the arrow to start rotating in the direction of the fletching between the two shafts.

Is it enough to matter? Each shooter must answer that for themselves.

In the Nestly video you can see that the left wing arrow had made a full rotation at 15 feet whereas the right wing arrow had not yet overcome the arrow's natural rotation yet. It isn't until he shoots at 20 feet that the right wing arrow is back to it's starting position, which means the fletching are only starting to correct the arrows rotation at this distance. So, somewhere between 15 and 20 feet the right wing arrow makes an almost 40° correction. That's a pretty significant distance.
                                Good stuff. Rat rules! I never knew of clocking. I was always under the conception that a bareshaft doesnt rotate due to no fletching guidance but figured some vectoring forces and flawed human input caused shaft torque in some fashion.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I reason that an arrow that has to fight the natural rotation would lose some of its energy down range working against itself. A loss in fps, KE, momentum, bone splitting torque, etc.

I couldnt ever see if Nestly was shooting left handed or right handed. Im thinking right handed the way his gear belt was set up.

Comment

Working...
                                X