No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My primary ag experiment this year was to use fall cover crops to create a thatch to suppress weeds and legumes to provide nitrogen for summer crops. Frankly I was disappointed with the results. The pea and bean fields all suffered severe weed infestation. While the peas and beans and other things planted did grow, weed competition has been fierce. Granted the animals don't really care and they all have more than they can eat but I'm not satisfied with the outcome.

My direction is ultimately be fully organic with all the food plots. however I'm sure I will be spraying the fields this fall before planting and again next spring before the cultivars germinate. I do believe all the growth in the fields will help build the soils as it's allowed to stay in the fields building organic matter.

Here are a couple of pics of one of the bean fields. The sunflowers are starting to bloom. Always a pleasant sight. The other pic is of sickle pod an aggressive weed that if one plant is left the following year you have a zillion. I intend to mow this field when the sickle pod starts blowing to terminate it.
    Attached Files

Comment

To keep everyone interested recognizing most folks would rather look at deer than sickle pod here is another buck. Still lots of growing to do but looking strong. Believe him to be 6 or 7.
      Attached Files

Comment

WOWZER!!! Great looking animals and awesome thread!
        Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 07-03-2014, 02:42 PM.

Comment

That's just ridiculous. El Gato, I know you have a select hitlist, but for the love all things HUGE, can you take down a bigg'un this year? You have monsters.

The clover that is flowering up above. Is that Durrano blooming?

Comment

^^^Red Ace red clover, great stuff. I will plant a bunch more this fall . Durana is growing underneath it, has a white bloom. . They are nicely compatible

Comment

I like the idea on the flashing coon guards. Let us know when you check that camera.

Comment

Haven't had a coon on the feeder since installed. Unfortunately the deer shied away from the feeder as well. I will work a bit more on the design then install on all the feeders after antler growth finishes. I don't want anything to interfere with feed consumption at this time.

Bottom line is it appears to work. I'll test with corn in Sept.

Comment

Good stuff, I would like to plant on my place one of these days.

Comment

Great pictures of the nice bucks with the Reconyx. I really like those cameras. and I see you have more than one taking pictures. I'm building a clover plot now to plant this fall and I will have to try the Red Ace and Berseem clovers because of your reports. Been thinking of adding Chicory to my clover because of the deer's response to it. I am wondering if you have any experience with this mixture, and if you have, did u mix it in with the clover or would u suggest alternating rows of each. Thanking you again and again

Comment

Got any other pics of that feeder? Looks cool

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                        Great pictures of the nice bucks with the Reconyx. I really like those cameras. and I see you have more than one taking pictures. I'm building a clover plot now to plant this fall and I will have to try the Red Ace and Berseem clovers because of your reports. Been thinking of adding Chicory to my clover because of the deer's response to it. I am wondering if you have any experience with this mixture, and if you have, did u mix it in with the clover or would u suggest alternating rows of each. Thanking you again and again
                        I've had great luck mixing chicory in to the clover fields. They are very compatible.

I think a great fall combo to get clover and chicory going is: 30-50lbs wheat/acre, 5lbs/acre durana clover, 7-8 lbs/acre red clover,10-15 lbs crimson clover, 2 lbs/acre chicory, 3-5 lbs/acre daikon radishes. Managed right the clovers and chicory will last years and something will be growing at all times. You then drill small grains in to the clover each fall and radishes as well. Makes an awesome perennial plot.

Berseem can be used instead of crimson. Really depends on your soil as to which works best but either is very good with similar growing characteristics.

Reconyx cameras are the best!!! I have been using them here from August till Thanksgiving everyday now for second year then take them to the ranch thru Feb. they have taken thousands!!! of photos and the original batteries are still 90%.

Comment

Here's another pic of the feeder albeit not very good but all I could find. This model is not coon proof though the latest modifications are. If memory serves they hold about 600 lbs. Another problem with this design is birds will scratch a lot of feed out. We will cut a piece of 1" pvc and put in bottom of spout.
                          Attached Files

Comment

what happened to that buck? any more pics? wow.

Comment

Low 190's double drop main frame 12 point in velvet still growing. Rio Grand brush country. Only pic I have though video of him.

Comment

he should be someones logo

Comment

Working...
                                X