CenTex drought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CenTex drought

I knew it was bad, but hadn’t seen it first hand until this weekend. At the ranch in NE Coleman county. We have had 7” of rain since Jan. Pasture conditions are terrible, trees are bad stressed, looks like November with leave turning brown and falling. Our normally 5 ac stock pond has shrunk to about a 1/2 ac and two shallow fingers of channels.

We had more rain in 2011, but more heat. Not sure what this hold for fall. Not expecting a solid yield of fawns nor significant antler growth. On the upside there aren’t any acorns on the oaks.

Same in here is SW Callahan county. Oak trees are dropping more leaves each and every day, and 3 of our 4 stock tanks have gone dry. Praying for rain!

Comment

It is bad here in Bell County as well. Tanks are drying up, and the fire risk is really bad. Every day you read about a new fire. Id hate to have my house tucked behind a cedar brake right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just here in North Bexar County/ West Comal Co, we got 6-7in of rain mid July and it did nothing to help the river flow. Northern Guad is drying up. A water trough might do better at drawing deer than a feeder right now.

Comment

We’ve gotten about 18.5” in Anderson county for the year, the avg is around 32” YTD

Comment

local corn fields already been cut for weeks now. usually not cut until a few days before dove opener.

from weather.gov in dfw area precip totals this year:
            jan-0.85
            feb-11.31
            mar-2.90
            apr-0.77
            may-1.87
            jun-1.27
            jul-0.25
            aug-0 so far

19.22" so far with 11 of that in feb.. not good this year
            Last edited by hully1029; 08-04-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

What used to be grass is now dust in places out in Gatsville

Comment

Same here in Mills county.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                  On the upside there aren’t any acorns on the oaks.
                  That's not an upside for the deer unless you can replace the fat and carbs deer get from acorns, but I understand what you're saying. I'm in East Texas, but our acorn crop is a bust also. I did a bunch of bushhogging the last couple days and every oak I went under had acorns about as big as a no. 1 buckshot. Corn and water !

Comment

It’s horrible. The west side of Wilco keeps getting missed what little rain we have had. At my blind I’ve been feeding corn and putting out 50lbs of protein a week. They are cleaning it out in less than a week.

Comment

Im hoping this drought will kill off some invasive plants and trashy ash trees. The elms and oaks seem to be holding up good.

We are to the point of the soil drying up and shrinking where Im starting to have breaks in the yard lines at rental houses. Happened in 2011 too. One house in Taylor...the yard line broke 3 times during 2011-2012.

Comment

I remember 2011 very well on a friend’s cattle ranch in Navarro County. His ponds dried up and so did the creek. They had to rent tanker trailers to haul water in for the herds. Then a fire broke out nearby.

I was out in that awful heat retrieving a broken down farm tractor. That was not easy at all.
                        Last edited by Worksalot; 08-04-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Buddy’s place in Schleicher looked awful, as did the deer. Been blessed at our place in Edwards county with some timely rain. We’re at a little over eleven inches on the year which is right in line with the 10 year average for this time of year with more rain forecasted for next weekend.

Comment

It is pretty bad, I've got cracks in the ground big enough to lose a small child in.

Comment

Was on two big ranches in Laredo yesterday and this morning. One had 1/2” and the other had 4 1/2” since January.

Comment

Working...
                              X