No announcement yet.

Santa Fe School shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this specialized training for LE assigned to schools. Take a look and check out your ISD to see if they use this training resource or something similar. If not I would ask why the hell not already. Klein and Conroe ISD are trained in it.

Since 2002, ALERRT at Texas State has been awarded more than $72 million in state and federal grant funding, and has trained more than 130,000 law enforcement and fire officials nationwide in dynamic, force-on-force scenario-based training.

Comment

I've been invited by Governor Abbott to go to Austin tommorow for a Round table disscusion. While sitting here worrying about my son I've purposely tried not to focus on any political agendas. I've only concerned my self with prayers him. That gave me a peace and calm that allowed me to think open minded about alot of thing. I plan on sitting down tonight and writing down my thoughts and feelings. This tragedy shouldn't spark a gun debate. Evil will happen no matter what, the debate is what to do to limit its impact.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
        I have a daughter in Highschool and have taught her as best I can of what to do in these types of situations and now thinking about it a refresher is in the works for tonight.

I have a baby on the way right now. I have no desire to send them to a Public HS one day if they do not drastically reduce the number of students per school and put in metal detectors at bottle necks where armed and specially trained police are present.
        Are you against having teachers and volunteers armed in school? Only specially trained police?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
          I've been invited by Governor Abbott to go to Austin tommorow for a Round table disscusion. While sitting here worrying about my son I've purposely tried not to focus on any political agendas. I've only concerned my self with prayers him. That gave me a peace and calm that allowed me to think open minded about alot of thing. I plan on sitting down tonight and writing down my thoughts and feelings. This tragedy shouldn't spark a gun debate. Evil will happen no matter what, the debate is what to do to limit its impact.

Hoggslayer

I will say a prayer for you tonight that you will have a clear mind.

Comment

I like this specialized training for LE assigned to schools. Take a look and check out your ISD to see if they use this training resource or something similar. If not I would ask why the hell not already. Klein and Conroe ISD are trained in it.

https://www.alerrt.org/

Burnet CISD and Burnet PD/Sheriff has done this. They also on a regular basis do mock drills on the weekends at the various campus' in town. The City and School Board yesterday came to agreement to where as each Campus will have at minimum one Police officer on each Campus all day and during morning and afternoon (when most shooting occur) Have additional officers patrolling the parking lots/campus's. I think this is a great start for our little town.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              Are you against having teachers and volunteers armed in school? Only specially trained police?
              No, the first group you described Im fine with taking a shot if the target is isolated from other students or a contact shot is possible. Anyone firing into a crowd of children better have specialized training in my opinion. Very specialized; like the very far end of the bell curve specialized. So two different scenarios.

CHL carriers should be able to have a weapon on them if the school isn't going to have metal detectors. The gun free zone I don't agree with.
              Last edited by Ætheling; 05-23-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                Burnet CISD and Burnet PD/Sheriff has done this. They also on a regular basis do mock drills on the weekends at the various campus' in town. The City and School Board yesterday came to agreement to where as each Campus will have at minimum one Police officer on each Campus all day and during morning and afternoon (when most shooting occur) Have additional officers patrolling the parking lots/campus's. I think this is a great start for our little town.
                Awesome to hear.

Comment

You have any ideas on how to stop school shootings?
                  Yes, but nothing most people don't want to hear. Like good old parents raising kids the right way. Allowing and encouraging parents to spank kids. Allowing discipline back in schools. Make parents work instead of living off welfare. Letting God back in schools.

You know, just stupid stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Yes, but nothing most people don't want to hear. Like good old parents raising kids the right way. Allowing and encouraging parents to spank kids. Allowing discipline back in schools. Make parents work instead of living off welfare. Letting God back in schools.

That's a great wish list. Nothing wrong with it. I was thinking of something that might actually stop a bad guy with a gun. Thanks.
                    Last edited by Traildust; 05-23-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

That's a great wish list. Nothing wrong with it. I was thinking of something that might actually stop a bad guy with a gun. Thanks.
                      A good guy with good marksmanship

Comment

It's called creating or going back to having decent people in society.

Of course it won't happen but neither will all your dreams of people walking around with guns and that making everyone safe.

If we have bad guys then people are going to get shot or blown up. You can buy protection here and there but they will just shoot in the other places. You can't stop crazy..Period.

And as said 100,000 times go ahead and spend another 10 billion on metal detectors and armed guards at every single school. Then when the next shooter shoots kids on a bus I'll say told you so. Then you can arm every bus. Heck may want to have armored buses! And then bus stops..and on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

I have always wondered what people mean by putting God "back" in schools.
                          How much God were you taught in public school?

Spanking ALL kids is dumb. Has been proven. Some kids need spanked, others dont.

I do agree that a stronger sense of respect and discipline need to be had on all school levels.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                            I have always wondered what people mean by putting God "back" in schools.
                            How much God were you taught in public school?

Spanking ALL kids is dumb. Has been proven. Some kids need spanked, others dont.

I do agree that a stronger sense of respect and discipline need to be had on all school levels.

Religious or not most rationally minded people agree on the social mores and laws built from them that are also found in modern Christian teachings. I know some agnostics that have a stronger moral compass than some Christians. I think the point he was making is society is slipping away from those mores.

Comment

Religious or not most rationally minded people agree on the social mores and laws built from them that are also found in modern Christian teachings. I know some agnostics that have a stronger moral compass than some Christians. I think the point he was making is society is slipping away from those mores.
                              And my point was - we had a pledge and never heard anything else in school about God in public school.

And like you, the most judgmental / hypocritical people I know are Christians.

Comment

Like with most things in life, there is not black and white answer. I firmly believe that culture has a large part in these tragedies. I think most of us on this site agree that it isn’t a gun problem. So what is it then?

Nothing will work to stop this if we continue to look at it from a re-action standpoint. Pro-active is how you stop it from happening. Until we can change the present culture of things, all we have is reaction.

Like riverrat says, we could put the kids in fort knox, with security everywhere. Bad people will find a way. Busses, field trips, school plays, prom etc… bad people will find a way. And each time they constrict the laws/rules for everyone to try and stop a few. You rule for the majority, not the exceptions.

In Florida, I understand that kid was already on administrators radar, but they didn’t want to submit him into whatever program or disciplinary actions because it would add to the districts totals for bad seeds.

We have taken the power away from the schools and teachers. My wife’s a teacher (so is her sister), she can’t do anything to correct a kids behavior. My kids can’t fail tests, they just get to keep retaking them. Missed homework can just be turned in later…. There are no consequences for the kids actions. There was just an article the other day about a school district changing students grades to they don’t lose state/federal funding. This may seem like rambling, but I do believe the system has slowly morphed into one that lifts everyone up, to the point of hiding potential deadly characteristics. Parents are too quick to side with their kids when steps are taken at school. Look at the response from the greek father, his first statement to the public contained the point that he felt like a victim too. Absurd, it’s not about you. No sense of ownership. His next thing was please don’t kill him. Why? 40+ years in prison on the taxpayer’s dime. What possible benefit will his life bring? Apparently this kid also when against the dress code by wearing the trench coat, all the time. Send his butt home!, or make him wear a PE uniform all day like we did.

For the comment above about how spanking kids doesn’t work???? What snowflake research determined that? When properly administered, even the threat of paddling was enough to keep myself and many others in line. Everybody had a coach with a special paddle, one with holes in it. Ha ha

Throw metal detectors up to appease the mob.
                                Funding for schools shouldn’t be based on schools performance. (districts are being shown to manipulate results anyway)
                                Let kids fail! Let them have consequences for their actions.
                                and start backing the teachers/administrators on the ground level. Sister-in-law has told me stories of her getting her butt kicked by students, chairs thrown etc… only to see the kid the next day in class.

In many of these cases we’ve had systems already in place that could have better prevented the escalation but people in authority were too worried about sounding alarms in fear of reprisal. No action, in many cases is the same as the wrong action. Same thing with most of the terrorist that have hit us. How many times have you heard, joe bloe was already on some FBI watch list.

These kids have not been from low income families, had a hard life etc.. they have been privileged white collar suburban kids that can’t deal with life.

I know this is a close subject for some, and I’m not looking to ruffle any feathers. but I’m not going to apologize if I offend you either.

Comment

Working...
                                X