No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's awesome. I will keep an eye out for the pictures. Most places I don't get to see the long term results. I'm glad it has worked out. It is a beautiful place.

Comment

3/31/2018 Update

My brother and his family and my parents were out at the ranch this weekend filling up all of the feeders, doing some work and doing a little turkey hunting. They said the turkeys aren't being vocal whatsoever...not sure what's going on there. They did a lot of clearing beneath the house next to the river. Here are some pictures of the clearings they made:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	24535276

Name:	IMG_0650 (Medium).jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	24535277

Name:	IMG_0651 (Medium).jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	24535278

Name:	IMG_0652 (Medium).jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	24535279

Here are some pictures that show some of the mulched areas we had done in February 2017:

Name:	IMG_0654 (Medium).jpg
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	24535280

Name:	IMG_0655 (Medium).jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	24535281

Here are some more pictures from the weekend, things are just starting to get green out there.

Name:	IMG_4294 (Medium).jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	24535282

Name:	IMG_4295 (Medium).jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	24535283

Name:	IMG_4296 (Medium).jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	24535284

Name:	IMG_4298 (Medium).jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	24535285

Comment

5-1-2018 Update

We went out to do some turkey hunting in late April but weren't able to get any birds within range. We filled up all of the Krivoman protein feeders and adjusted the corn feeders to spin around 3 seconds twice a day. My dad filled all of the cottonseed feeders today. We ended up getting just under 1.5inches of rain last week out there. Here are some pictures from the past couple of weekends.

San Saba river is flowing nicely even with the small amount of rain we have gotten this spring.

Name:	IMG_1227 (Medium).jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	24539245

Quality browse growing in mulched clearings (sumac, acacia, ephedra):

Name:	IMG_1231 (Medium).jpg
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	24539246

Name:	IMG_1232 (Medium).jpg
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	24539247

Name:	IMG_1233 (Medium).jpg
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	24539248

NW Corner Field - planted wheat, elbon rye and oats last fall. Still has some growth going on.

Name:	IMG_1284 (Medium).jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	24539249

Name:	IMG_1286 (Medium).jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	24539250

Protein and cottonseed feeders full:

Name:	IMG_4324 (Medium).jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	24539252

Name:	IMG_4325 (Medium).jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	24539253

We found a number of sheds this past weekend. My son, Mason, found a matching set of a buck that we had a lot of history with but haven't seen him in 3 years. It was nice to get his antlers. They were literally 1 foot apart.

Name:	IMG_1294 (Medium).jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	24539254

Any idea on what's going on with this deer:

Name:	IMG_1312 (Medium).jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	24539251

Comment

5-1-2018 Update (Continued)

My mom's old high school friend made us a really cool neon sign for the ranch:
          [ATTACH]907697[/ATTACH]

Comment

Looking good out there. Hopefully we got that much rain at our place

Comment

The place is looking great! Hopefully this will be another great year!

Comment

Looking good. Updates are always neat to see.

Comment

Originally posted by b.a.saha View Post
                  Looking good. Updates are always neat to see.
                  You did a great job out there! We will probably need you to do some more work out there after next deer season if you are up for it. We would like to continue to keep mulching sendaros through cedars every other year to create more edge and keep improving the habitat.

If anyone is interested in cedar clearing, Britt does a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                    You did a great job out there! We will probably need you to do some more work out there after next deer season if you are up for it. We would like to continue to keep mulching sendaros through cedars every other year to create more edge and keep improving the habitat.

If anyone is interested in cedar clearing, Britt does a great job.
                    Thanks!
                    I was gonna talk to you about when you get Britt back out there to let me know. I am gonna see about having him do some work too. From the pics he does Great work.Your place is looking Great!

Comment

Anybody know what’s going on with that deer in the picture above?

Comment

Hair change from winter to summer and running late, i have seen that look a lot.

Comment

We had a stone go through our property last night and it just sat over us. I’m being told that we got anywhere from 4in to 7in around the Calf Creek/San Saba river areas. That should be enough to fill up the ponds.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                            We had a stone go through our property last night and it just sat over us. I’m being told that we got anywhere from 4in to 7in around the Calf Creek/San Saba river areas. That should be enough to fill up the ponds.
                            I was thinking of y'all last night watching that cell go through. By lcra hydromet that area all got 3+ in of rain. We got less than a quarter closer to San Saba, but very thankful for anything. We were at our place this past weekend. It is getting dry dry and deer are hammering the protein. Supposed to be a little chance of rain again today.

Comment

3.2" just west of Hext!!!

Comment

One of our friends that is 1 mile north of Calf Creek off FM1311 received 6.25in last night. Calf Creek on FM1311 was still flooded this morning. Another friend of ours on FM1311 lost a couple of windows on their house from golf ball sized hail. That was a crazy storm!

Comment

Working...
                                X