• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Gym...

I’m interested in building a home gym.
    Looking for something pretty simple.
    Squat rack. Bench.

Have any of you guys built a home gym? If you have any recommendations on a squat rack that would be much appreciated.

Feel free to add pics.

Thanks green screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm interested as well. Have to figure out some way to convince the wife to get rid of some of our "extra" furniture in the spare bedroom(s) so I can build myself a home gym. That should be more important right?

Comment

I tried. I just don't have the discipline to work out at home. But started paying for a gym in December and go 5 times a week since then.

Comment

Word. I have one but it never gets used. I have to go to the gym if I want to get anything done.

Comment

I've been doing 5x5 in my garage. Built a simple squat rack from 3/4 tubing. Old bench with plenty of weights and a good Olympic bar.

Comment

On the fence about building one up in my spare as well..

Does anyone have their squat rack bolted to the floor in their home?
            Last edited by eastxhunter; 07-21-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I despise commercial gyms. I workout in my garage. If it's hot, I have a box fan, cold -Heater Buddy. My set up is 1.5" plywood (two 3/4 pieces stacked). Whenever we change out carpet, I take the old stuff from the house and replace the older stuff in the garage. None of my stuff is bolted to the ground. If I could weld, I'd build my own stuff, but I can't.

Initially, I bought most of my equipment used from various places. I picked up a few other pieces by word of mouth from HS that were re-doing their facilities, Craig's list etc. Find a welder who needs some work. This stuff is way too pricey to ship.

I've upgraded over the years and have the following:

I have a full set of db's up to 90, chains, bands, bars and too many plates. Buy a little at a time, people are always moving, quit lifting or some other issue.

It's fun, I have three kids and two played or are playing college ball. My gym is full of kids in the summer working.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                I despise commercial gyms. I workout in my garage.
                This is me. After working and working out in public gyms for years I finally had enough and made half my garage a gym. I have a squat rack, bench, plates and dumbbells. Got some of the horse stall mats for flooring. If it's cold I wear a hoodie, I like the heat. I'm slowly adding to it as I go.

Comment

Garage gym is great. Get the Rogue wall mounted rack which will give you squat rack, bench station, pull up rack and get attachments for dips. I also have the concept 2 Rower. Best piece I’ve of equipment I have. Get pieces over time and it is doable.

Comment

If you are going to buy a squat rack buy one that doubles as a power rack and has safety pins. You can not only squat but if you are benching and get stuck the safety pins will let you get out from under it. This should be a must if you lift alone.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                      Garage gym is great. Get the Rogue wall mounted rack which will give you squat rack, bench station, pull up rack and get attachments for dips. I also have the concept 2 Rower. Best piece I’ve of equipment I have. Get pieces over time and it is doable.
                      This^^^^ I wish I had one of these, really nice rack

Comment

My set-up. It’s about as simple as it gets. Can get a full squat but if I fail the rack catches it. To bench I just set the bar on the bottom portion and slide a bench in between the rack. It’s low enough that I can slide the bar to my chest and get to work with out having to worry about getting stuck! Made it out of light weight 4x4 steel. 18x18” plate steel to the back legs for stability. Hasn’t let me down yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          I tried. I just don't have the discipline to work out at home. But started paying for a gym in December and go 5 times a week since then.

Nice!

Comment

Thank you guys for all of the tips!
                            I’ll keep yawl posted on my next moves.

Comment

I just ordered a rack and bench from Titan Fitness. Its just like the Rogue stuff but cheaper. Sears had a deal for a bar and 300lbs of weight for $199 and you get $32 back in points. Hope to set it up this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X