Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody shot the new ELD-X at a critter yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found one guy on snipers hide that shot an aoudad with a 6.5 Creedmoor and the 143 gr ELD-X at 200 yds. DRT but no exit.

For tougher animals at close ranges, I wonder how their new ELD Match would do. It has the same plastic tip with a lead core and jacket, it would have to mushroom IMO. It is the replacement for the AMAX and many guys had good luck and exits with those.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
      I found one guy on snipers hide that shot an aoudad with a 6.5 Creedmoor and the 143 gr ELD-X at 200 yds. DRT but no exit.

For tougher animals at close ranges, I wonder how their new ELD Match would do. It has the same plastic tip with a lead core and jacket, it would have to mushroom IMO. It is the replacement for the AMAX and many guys had good luck and exits with those.
      I've had mixed results with the AMAX in 308. Now, everything I've shot with them has been DRT don't get me wrong, but I've had complete pass throughs, and I've had then stop under the off side hide. Funny thing is, some of the ones I expected to recover were pass throughs and others that I thought would pass through, we're still in the deer.

I'm thinking if the ELD X isn't holding together enough to pass through with the interlick ring, the Match version without it won't either. I know Audad aren't exactly heavy, tough animals like elk, but it sounds like his bullet worked as intended but didn't have enough energy to exit. Maybe the 6.5 Creed wasn't quite enough gun? I'm better with that than I am with exploding on impact and not getting any penetration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not feeling good about these now. I ordered 3 boxes of 300 win mag yesterday to get ready for my elk hunt.

Comment

I've whacked two hogs so far with the 143 ELDX in a 6.5 Creed. I purposely shot the first one through the shoulder and was pleased to see him take three steps and give it up. Bullet passed completely through the shoulders with a 1 1/2" exit. Granted, not a huge boar, but performance was what I expected out of this bullet. Second pig was hit back about 5 ribs and produced same 1 1/2" exit hole.

I just remembered, I whacked a close in coyote at about 75 yards. He dropped like a rock with 1/4 away shot. Bullet exited though off shoulder with a 1" exit.

Additionally, I've tested the .284 ELDX in my 28 Nosler and have not found the accuracy I was hoping far. I must note that minimal effort was made.

Comment

Originally posted by bowpro12 View Post
            I've whacked two hogs so far with the 143 ELDX in a 6.5 Creed. I purposely shot the first one through the shoulder and was pleased to see him take three steps and give it up. Bullet passed completely through the shoulders with a 1 1/2" exit. Granted, not a huge boar, but performance was what I expected out of this bullet. Second pig was hit back about 5 ribs and produced same 1 1/2" exit hole.

I just remembered, I whacked a close in coyote at about 75 yards. He dropped like a rock with 1/4 away shot. Bullet exited though off shoulder with a 1" exit.

Additionally, I've tested the .284 ELDX in my 28 Nosler and have not found the accuracy I was hoping far. I must note that minimal effort was made.
            This sounds better....

Comment

I've loaded the 178 in my 308 and while i can get them to shoot sub MOA i can do way better with regular 165gr Nosler BT's, SGK, and Accubonds. I'll admit I kinda got caught up in the "new" bullet when this came out. I shot a 160lb sow with one last month and it killed her DRT but it didn't do anything my 150gr Fusions don't do.

Don't get caught up in the marketing. Do actual research and find out what the actual benefits of different BC bullets are at the ranges you intend to hunt/shoot. I think you will find that at practical hunting ranges it doesn't make a hill of beans differnce what bullet you are shooting as long as it's designed for hunting. If I had a 6.5 I would see how a 140gr Partition shot. I KNOW it will kill the $h!t out of anything walking and all you have to do is hit them where it counts.

Remember, bullet drop is a known constant. If you are spending the money on a custom rifle you should have a rangefinder in your pocket. There is no excuse for not knowing the range therefore no excuse for missing your elevation. Better BC definitely helps with wind drift but at practical hunting ranges is the difference really appreciable?

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                I've loaded the 178 in my 308 and while i can get them to shoot sub MOA i can do way better with regular 165gr Nosler BT's, SGK, and Accubonds. I'll admit I kinda got caught up in the "new" bullet when this came out. I shot a 160lb sow with one last month and it killed her DRT but it didn't do anything my 150gr Fusions don't do.

Don't get caught up in the marketing. Do actual research and find out what the actual benefits of different BC bullets are at the ranges you intend to hunt/shoot. I think you will find that at practical hunting ranges it doesn't make a hill of beans differnce what bullet you are shooting as long as it's designed for hunting. If I had a 6.5 I would see how a 140gr Partition shot. I KNOW it will kill the $h!t out of anything walking and all you have to do is hit them where it counts.

Remember, bullet drop is a known constant. If you are spending the money on a custom rifle you should have a rangefinder in your pocket. There is no excuse for not knowing the range therefore no excuse for missing your elevation. Better BC definitely helps with wind drift but at practical hunting ranges is the difference really appreciable?
                Agreed, I run the Leica 1600b lrf, so range, angle etc are known very accurately. Velocity is easy to measure and BC's are available to enter into the calculator. Drops are not a problem, wind is. I can estimate wind, and I've done well with wind calls out to about 500 with my 308 in light winds, but really I'm just guessing. Anything more than a gentle breeze and I'd be lost.

I've learned, after reading Applied Ballistics, that BC is the primary thing that effects wind drift aside from wind speed and direction. Higher BC equals reduced wind drift. Higher velocity also reduces drift. High BC combined with high velocity, gives us the least drift. My theory is that the less drift there is, the less effect a missed wind call will have. If I estimate a 5mph wind when it's actually 8mph, or I call the wrong heading, the effect of those errors will be minimized by having the higher BC bullet.

Comment

Shot my deer last year with a vld 180gr hsm 300 win mag at a 396yds and had zero expansion almost same hole going in as going out i wasn't impressed. Made a good shot so it didn't matter but still....i had a box of the ELD-x precision hunters in my hand for my 308, the box was a little torn up from someone trying to open it at academy so i was like oh ill just grab the one under it and didn't check and it was 30-06 which no big deal because i own a 06 but didn't catch it until i was back home so didn't get to try it out on these two pigs. these were shot with the VLDS hsm 308 and both ran about 40 yards. i know a lot of people like them and they are very accurate but not impressed with expansion. Will test the ELD-x this weekend on some more pigs.
                  Last edited by simsknives; 09-15-2016, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by simsknives View Post
                    Shot my deer last year with a vld 180gr hsm 300 win mag at a 396yds and had zero expansion almost same hole going in as going out i wasn't impressed. Made a good shot so it didn't matter but still....i had a box of the ELD-x precision hunters in my hand for my 308, the box was a little torn up from someone trying to open it at academy so i was like oh ill just grab the one under it and didn't check and it was 30-06 which no big deal because i own a 06 but didn't catch it until i was back home so didn't get to try it out on these two pigs. these were shot with the VLDS hsm 308 and both ran about 40 yards. i know a lot of people like them and they are very accurate but not impressed with expansion. Will test the ELD-x this weekend on some more pigs.

That is odd because the VLD bullets expand violently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bowpro12 View Post

This makes me feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I'm tempted to go buy a box of the Precision Hunter in 7mm Mag or 30-06 just to test. Problem is, I've got a 7 mag in my safe that has never been fired by me, that I picked up just for the action, and I don't know its capability. The 06 I hate because it's super light weight and kills on both ends, but again, bought it for the action. Maybe it'll be better with the better recoil pad I installed.

Comment

Ok, I've had these loaded in my Creedmoor since they came out. My son and a friends son both killed elk efficiently with it, including finding one of the rounds in the off shoulder. I've killed fallow does, whitetail and hogs with very good results.

I'd have no problem recommending them for the Creedmoor.

Here are some pic's from the elk hunt using the 143gr EDL-X:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. That's more encouraging.

Comment

Pretty interesting reports. They seem to be on both ends of the spectrum. It would be interesting to see any loading details from both sides, if they were hand loads. I'll be loading 200gr ELD-X's for my 30.06 to use out to 400yds on KY whitetails. While not elk, they are certainly larger than the central TX deer I had been chasing the previous season.

Comment

I did load my own but don't come close to max powder. I think I was and still am running 42gr of H4350

Comment

Working...
                                X