No announcement yet.

How to Kill Cactus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surmount is the replacement for Tordon22K, both have picloram as the active ingredient. Picloram is a restricted used chemical and will require a herbicide applicators liscense to use.

Using Remedy or Reclaim on prickly pear is really wasting money. With out the picloram you are just weakening the plant but not really killing it.

The best time of the year to treat is the hotest dryest part of the summer when the plant is stressed the most. If all you are doing is clearing out around a few stands and feeders then a tractor with a front end loader might be your best option. It won't kill them but it will knock them back so you won't get stuck as much.

Comment

burn baby burn ......

Comment

Bush Hog

Comment

can tell ya this............ dont burn em! My wife had one die in the yard, threw it in the burn pile, few months later the dam thing was 5 feet tall!

Comment

don't shread!!!!!!!!! Makes more of them!!

Burn or chemically treat.

Comment

Use "Picklaram" on those things. The spelling probably isn't correct but it will do the job. It will take a few years for the full effect of it to be noticed.

Comment

get ya the new hackerdacker weed inwacker and get after it!

Comment

I will let ya'll in on a little secret. If you burn off the throns and don't kill the cactus you just created a super deer maganent. It will also attract every cow in the pasture so be careful.

Comment

sorry to reopen and old thread... but one of my fields is now getting infested with prickly pears.. i mowed the field and they spread everywhere... what do you think of this site? wondering how and if it works...

Comment

4 oz. of Remedy to a gallon of diesel will kill it dead first try but only on warm weather above 75 degrees

Comment

tordon!!! when spraying pp cover all sides of the pear... surmount is slightly different.. yes they both contain piclorym but surmount also contains fluroxypyr which is soil activated and therefore the private activators liscense. If you can find someone with their liscense it works with a higher kill rate as residual herbicide in the soil continues killing.

Comment

Burn the thorns off and use it as bait. Deer down here love it when we burn them for our cattle. We call it "chamuscando" lol. Place kids on the other side of the cactus with Red Riders and let them have at it blasting the pack rats that come flying out
                          Man I miss being a kid

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                            Place kids on the other side of the cactus with Red Riders and let them have at it blasting the pack rats that come flying out
                            You alright dude!

Comment

Are yall getting rid of your cactus for cattle purposes?

Comment

surmount

Comment

Working...
                                X