Sarted feeder today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarted feeder today

I'm using land owners feeder so a little limited on when and what can be done. However a few logs placed between feeder and blind (where hand corn will be) hopefully will work to an advantage. I've read that a deer with its head down cant duck and with log in front of them will have restricted view.
    Will any of this help? This will be 2nd year to bow hunt, so still getting basics.

I think a deer can duck no matter what is happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They can DEF still duck with head down. But the hand corn behind things to block view will make it easier to draw down on em.

Comment

They duck on sound.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think they may actually duck faster from the head down position. The momentum of their head coming up assists in dropping their body. I do agree with your idea of putting corn behind something that will get them in position and block their vision.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            I think they may actually duck faster from the head down position. The momentum of their head coming up assists in dropping their body. I do agree with your idea of putting corn behind something that will get them in position and block their vision.
            I agree with the head down to Jerp. Never thought about the head behind objects on hand corn though. Def gonna try that trick

Comment

May want to place corn in a line going away from you (so that log is perpendicular to you and corn line is behind it on the other side). Deer will tend to feed perpendicular to the corn line, so that you will likely get a broadside shot.

Doing the opposite (corn line perpendicular to me) a couple of years ago, I watched a doe at 10 yards eat corn for 15 solid minutes -- facing me and presenting zero shot opportunity the entire time.

Comment

I'll second (or third or whatever) about the ducking with the head down. I think they duck easier when the head is down because the position allows them to drop the shoulders or whatever faster. I've seen it with my own eyes. Folks say don't shoot an deer looking towards you... but I've had less effect of ducking on a deer with their head up than I have with their head down.

But either way, they can still get their wound up tight as a drum, ninja ***es out of there before you can spell FOC.

As for obstructing their vision. I always look for some sort of cover that gets me a chance to get drawn... whether it is sprinkling corn around a bush, etc. I have heard of the log trick, but have yet to actually implement it.

Comment

Thanks for answers. This traditional game is sure different than hunting with a rifle, and I really enjoy trying to get close. The ducking with head down seemed odd, so I wanted some opinions.

Comment

IMO, the best time to shoot is with their head up looking away. Their ears are usually swiveled to where their looking, but sometimes one will be cocked backwards. That's about the best you can hope for. Aim a little low to compensate for the ducking motion.

Comment

Feeders aren't that expensive.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I pour my feed in a trail leading into a 55 gallon drum and shoot them once they put their head inside of it.

Comment

And if you're really sneaky you can slip in behind them and shove them into the barrel and put the lid on it. Meat doesn't get any fresher than that when you get it home.

Comment

When thier head is in a Bush with the branches rubbing against thier ears they don't duck.
                              Sight has nothing to do with it usually

Comment

Working...
                              X