No announcement yet.

Help, I broke a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna get after it in the morning. Will let y all know how it works out. Thanks again

Comment

Just get something sharp and pop it out. Use an awl or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody903 View Post
        Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna get after it in the morning. Will let y all know how it works out. Thanks again
        Don't leave us night shifters hanging. Get busy!! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
          Place a smaller Allen wrench in and carefully super glue it to the bolt, let it dry and twist out the screw slowly
          Or, you know, use the right tool for the job. You can get a torx set at walmart for probably $5.

Comment

You're a better man than I. If I'd had that happen to me, I wouldn't be ablessed to sleep until I had gottenough that thing out. Would drive me nuts.

Comment

Use a Dremel tool and cut a slot across the top of it. Then put a slotted screw driver in and turn the screw back so it's not wedged and it should just fall out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                You're a better man than I. If I'd had that happen to me, I wouldn't be ablessed to sleep until I had gottenough that thing out. Would drive me nuts.
                Yes!!! Especially a Friday night!!!!

Comment

Here is a pic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's not at all what I pictured.

There are good ideas posted

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                    Allen head won't work in a STAR or Torx head screw
                    My thoughts

Comment

That hex key will be made of hardened tool steel so drilling it out might be tough unless you have carbide bits. Is there enough sticking above the screw head to grab with a pair of vise grips? If so, I would try to grab it and rotate it back to unwedge it. If not, try a very small chisel and try to hit the edge of the hex key like your trying to un thread it.

Then go buy some Torx keys or sockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                        Use a Dremel tool and cut a slot across the top of it. Then put a slotted screw driver in and turn the screw back so it's not wedged and it should just fall out.
                        Or try this if you got room for the cutting wheel.

Comment

I could cut through the screwswith a vibrating tool.slow n steady

Comment

There are many good suggestions above. However, before trying them take all of the other bolts out and see if you can turn the scope and mounts and see if the damaged bolt will loosen.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                              There are many good suggestions above. However, before trying them take all of the other bolts out and see if you can turn the scope and mounts and see if the damaged bolt will loosen.
                              Make sure to use a Torx bit on the remainder. If none of the above work, a good thrashing with a 3 pound ball peen hammer will make you feel better. :-). Good luck.

Comment

As others have stated, that's a torx not allen. Your second problem is that you used the ball end of the allen to break the screw loose and it broke off. Hard lesson learned but never use the ball end to break a screw loose. We have this happen at work on occasion and the only thing that usually works is a chisel or breaking the bolt head off. In your situation you have a way of possibly saving the whole setup. Since the left over ball head is nearly impossible to drill, you could take the mount off the rifle and drill out the screw from the back side. Use a drill bit that is just smaller than the threads so you can retap the hole.

Comment

Working...
                                X