Everything Concealed Carry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I plan on getting my chl after the start of the year. I have a few questions.
    What is the most comfortable position to carry in?
    What do you carry?
    Single stack vs double stack does it really make a difference printing wise?
    What are the rookie mistakes I should avoid?

and any other helpful hint would be great.

Since the beginning of legal carry,I have carried a Keltec 32,in a front pocket Desantis nylon pocket holster. On occasion I have substituted a Tarus 85 with a bobbed hammer or a Star model PD.

Comment

What is the most comfortable position to carry in? Varies from person to person. I carry 3-4 oclock

What do you carry? XD 40

Single stack vs double stack does it really make a difference printing wise? Printing doesn't matter anymore. Double stack will be heavier.

What are the rookie mistakes I should avoid? Be proficient and comfortable with whatever you carry.

Comment

I carry at 2-4, just depends what I’m wearing. I’ve also come to realize that even though you think it’s obvious that your carrying, most of the time it’s not

I carry a glock 26 40 cal

Comment

I love my crossbreed supertuck. I carry a glock 23 daily. I like it in the 3 o'clock position, but if I feel I need to protect it I will push it to the 2:30 position.

I carried my Sid 239 for years in a leather outside the pants hloster.

I never tuck my shirt in anymore. I don't care if I print because it isn't illegal.

My single stack Sig in 40cal is the same weight as my double stack glock 40cal. One is Stainless, the other polymer.

Rookie mistakes- using an Uncle Mikes holster from Walmart or Academy.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
            I carry at 2-4, just depends what I’m wearing. I’ve also come to realize that even though you think it’s obvious that your carrying, most of the time it’s not

I carry a glock 26 40 cal

I second the part about not being obvious. Only you will know about it. I guess one thing I have been guilty of was continually checking to make sure it was not showing. One police in Oklahoma didn't like that very much.

Comment

As others have said, what you carry and how you carry it are personal preferences. I carry two or three different pistols depending on what I'm doing and where I'm going, but I almost always carry right on my hipbone, because whatever is there NEEDS to be in the same place time after time. That said, it's mostly a Shield (in .40 caliber), in an N82 Professional holster. Save yourself some time and money and buy that holster first, then you won't have a drawer full of cast off holsters.

Comment

Explain the o'clock to me please. Is belly button 12 and back 6?

Comment

I carry on right hip all the time. Started carrying glock 42 and still do sometimes but most the time I carry a 19 with a +3 extension on it in dmbullard. I carried the 42 at 1st because it was smaller and felt like you could carry easy without anyone knowing. But once you get comfortable carrying you don't even think about the bigger gun. Like others have said most people don't have a clue you have one on. If you already have a gun you shoot well get a good holster and get used to it from the get go. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Most comfortable, front pocket with a P3AT. I prefer a full size just behind my hip bone with a kydex/leather hybrid IWB holster.

Comment

I appendix carry a Glock 19 with a inforce apl in an Alex and Ryan Design holster. It's about capacity and not printing imo. You can conceal most any pistol with a little forethought. I don't really conceal my shield any better than I do my 19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am new to this myself but I think where you care, in my opinion, is determined by whether you are open carry or concealed carry. Open carry, on my hip. Concealed carry, in my jeans, it is easier for me to carry inside front right (what some may call appendix carry?) because I have more room there than on my side. Just got my permit last September so still working on what works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post

What is the most comfortable position to carry in? Its all personal preference but I usually carry at 4 O'clock or Appendix

What do you carry? I personally alternate between a Glock G33, a G19, and a CZ P10C

Single stack vs double stack does it really make a difference printing wise? I dont care in the slightest about printing, mainly cause as others have stated, its not that noticeable. For preference, I prefer a double stack, then again im also the "crazy" guy that carries a second magazine regardless of the firearm I have on me.

What are the rookie mistakes I should avoid? Not training. And im not talking about going the the range once or twice a year. Best thing I ever did to gain confidence in carrying is taking a handgun combat class and a night time handgun class. The more you train, the more comfortable you will be, and the better prepared you will be.

Every day carry weapons are only as good as how comfortable you are. A lot of things are personal preference. I used to prefer my Crossbreed super tuck and N82 tactical holster but now ive lost 50lbs and can comfortable carry appendix and I now run a full kydex holster IWB.

Also, im the guy that will carry OWB 90% of the time. Honestly because its the most comfortable. I call it "lazy ccw" carry OWB but Ill have my shirt draped over it. I was honestly surprised how little people noticed it. Been doing it this way for the past 4 years and have only had 2 people see/notice it.
                          Last edited by ultralite09; 12-07-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I carry around 4 o'clock.

I carry either a Glock 19 or Glock 43 based on what my wardrobe for the day is.

Single stack certainly prints less for me but a lot of that depends on body type, holster, and wardrobe.

Rookie mistakes - No one is looking to see if you're carrying, but it will feel like it at first. Learn to use the restroom in public with your fully loaded gun in the holster. Sounds dumb, but practice it at home before you head out.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
                              What is the most comfortable position to carry in?
                              What do you carry?
                              Single stack vs double stack does it really make a difference printing wise?
                              What are the rookie mistakes I should avoid?

Almost everything in life has a positive and negative. You have to weigh them personally to see what you are willing to put up with for what benefit. For example most people would probably agree that in a gunfight, in most situations a shotgun or rifle would be a better option than a handgun. Then why a handgun ever? Convenience, weight, easy to carry most of the time whether concealed or open, etc. In such a choice the less firepower as a negative is weighed against those positives. It is that way with most choices.

For what it’s worth (which is just about nothing), I have carriy concealed for 34 years.

Most comfortable carry for most people if IWB is probably about 3-5 o’clock. It just doesn’t pinch or constrict as much as other options. Is it the best? Not For me it isn’t. I opt about 99.9% of the time in appendix carry... if IWB. I always carry concealed unless on duty which is a different animal. Why appendix when IWB? Access/speed. So it is an option between comfort and speed. I choose the speed. For me appendix is not uncomfortable but other options are “more” comfortable. Like always, it is a personal preference between positives and negatives.

I also carry conceal in an OWB holster but only when I can cover it with a jacket.

For purely comfort, someone people like an ankle holster and especially if with a small handgun. It can be one of the most concealed locations period. The negative? Access and speed. It is probably the worst place to draw from. If someone has to draw from the ankle, I hope that about a 10 warning is given. Walking through the mall and you hear shots being fired by an active shooter several stores away and you just want to get your family to safety, an ankle holster might be great. You have a few seconds to arm yourself and egress from the situation. If however a guy comfronts you and you only have 2-3 seconds to react, I hope an ankle holstered gun is not your only option. But it can be great to conceal and comfortable (but even that, not for everyone) so for some people that positive might outweigh the negative.

If carrying concealed with a jacket, a shoulder holster might be the ticket. It is just about as easy (and with larger hanguns, way better) as the ankle but way more accessible. I have carried that way in years past but not anymore. I just don’t like to have to reach across my body to draw. That is my negative but I am sure that some people love it. Personal preference in positives vs negatives.

What do I carry? Mostly a SW MP Shield 9mm. Sometimes the MP Compact 9mm and on very rare occasion, the full size MP. On similar rare occasions I carry the SW Bodyguard 380 but only if I can’t conceal at least the Shield.

Single vs double stack? Printing difference for similar frame size is so small that I doubt that anyone can tell even if looking for it. If I can conceal my Shield single stack then I can conceal my Compact double stack. Weight is the only difference. The negative on the double stack is it is heavier but for that you might carry another 3-5 rounds. I always carry an extra magazine so for me capacity is not that big of an issue but I do think about it before I leave the house. Positives vs negatives.

Rookie mistakes? The biggest in my opinion is not training for self defense and that goes for even veteran police officers. I am not talking about shooting skills either. Yes you should practice drawing and shooting and under stress. Quite frankly very few people do. Even those that do shoot, stop right there. For can LTC carriers the last time they will shoot is during the licensing or requals. But again, that is not what I am talking about.

In my opinion shooting skills many times take a back seat to mental preparation. The body will not go where the mind has not first gone. I have been in shootings, have witnessed shootings, have watched many videos of shooting and have spoken to or heard face to face from many officers that have been in deadly force incidents including ones that I have witnessed. If you haven’t mentally thought about it beforehand, you won’t do it at crunch time. Now, that doesn’t mean you will necessarily freeze. But before you take any action toward a threat, your mind will have to resolve it. That might only take a few seconds but being shot at or charged with another weapon is a bad time to start making plans.

I could go into many scenarios but there is no room here for that. I will leave it at this. About three years ago my best friend at my department and a former partner shot and killed a guy in an up close engagement (his second fatal shooting). When I first saw him maybe two hours later, the first words he spoke to me went something like, “I did exactly what you and I trained to do at the range”. He faced a guy with a gun about 10 feet away and the bad guy got off the first shot. My friend drew while moving to cover and firing while moving. The bad guy got off one shot. The officer got off seven in probably less then two seconds and you can actually hear him pause twice during that time. We have two car videos of it. I asked him about the pauses and he said that he was refocusing on his front sight. It was like pop-pop-pop... pop-pop... pop-pop. As he told me, he could have never done that had he not trained with me for that exact situation. The main point is again, the body will not go where the mind has not already been.

Many people reading this forum might be better shots than me but shooting paper might not help when you have half a second to make plans. An average shooter will likely win a gun battle with a great marksman when he has prepared mentally.

In my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X