No announcement yet.

2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep that really sucks. That's happened to me before. Most of the time now I apply for specific dates and not "Any date".

How did the muley hunt go and where was it?

Comment

It was at Big Bend Ranch State Park and it was awesome. We hunted in snow the first morning. We pretty much hunted all 2.5 days non stop. And saw one deer that was about 600 yards away. Unfortunately our compartment had limited vehicle access. If it had a road bisecting it we could have covered more ground and probably seen more deer. Still a great hunt. My son passed on javelina, we bumped a few coveys of blues and found some nice sheds.

Out of the four kids who showed up to hunt, a girl was the only one to score and she got a buck for the wall.

The mule deer hunt was a first for both of us and even though I wasn’t hunting, the thought of hunting West Texas for them, well, it gets in your blood.

Considering that my buck hunt was at Honey Creek SNA (next to Guadalupe River State Park), I wasn’t too torn up about missing it as I might have had a chance at a hill country buck and possibly an exotic. I did pay the $80 for the hunt as insurance though, in case my son got sick or something came up to where he couldn’t make the trip west. Yet another donation to TPWD!

Comment

I got my kids applications put in for their hunts.

I'll put my dad and myself in for ours at some point tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
          I’ve got a bone to pick with a buck in Fort Boggy. He slipped right by me last year after almost running head first into my blind. Maybe I’ll get lucky and draw that place again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I’ve got a bone to pick with tpwd about fort boggy. They messed up last year and drew too many names for the anterless and let us know about 5 days before the hunt that we’d been “undrawn.”
          Last edited by bullets13; 07-14-2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
            I’ve got a bone to pick with tpwd about fort boggy. They messed up last year and drew too many names for the anterless and let us know about 5 days before the hunt that we’d been “undrawn.”
            Thats just wrong. Sorry to hear that happened. They should have honored the hunts. And only 5 days notice is unacceptable, people make plans.....take off work arrange around other events, school.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
              did they give you your points back too?

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                did they give you your points back too?

We’re you in the second group of hunters? I think I remember them telling us about that when we got there.

Comment

Entered my two youngest for the youth either s#x hunts last night. Hopefully they get drawn.

My oldest never got drawn for the either s#x hunts while he was eligible (8 yrs old thru 16 yrs old).

Wish he could have carried over the youth preference points to the adult hunt pool.

Comment

[QUOTE=uncle jesse;13509424]Entered my two youngest for the youth either s#x hunts last night. Hopefully they get drawn.

My oldest never got drawn for the either s#x hunts while he was eligible (8 yrs old thru 16 yrs old).

Wish he could have carried over the youth preference points to the adult hunt pool.[/QUOTE

Friend of mine at work said both of his kids did carry over their preference points when they moved to the adult category.

Comment

[quote=OleTomTalker;13510359]
                      Originally posted by uncle jesse View Post
                      Entered my two youngest for the youth either s#x hunts last night. Hopefully they get drawn.

Wish he could have carried over the youth preference points to the adult hunt pool.[/QUOTE

Friend of mine at work said both of his kids did carry over their preference points when they moved to the adult category.
                      Thats odd just assumed they lost them. Never heard that considering you can already put kids into the adult hunts, just has to be a supervising adult on the card. If they have points in both gun deer antlerless and youth deer antlerless, will they add the two together once they turn 17?, I currently have this exact scenario.
                      Last edited by bossbowman; 07-27-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

[quote=bossbowman;13510377]
                        Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post

Thats odd just assumed they lost them. Never heard that considering you can already put kids into the adult hunts, just has to be a supervising adult on the card. If they have points in both gun deer antlerless and youth deer antlerless, will they add the two together once they turns 17?, I currently have this exact scenario.
                        I'd call in and check. Don't take my word for it but just this week I was looking at the hunts with him and he commented that his son had carried over points. I didn't actually see his account though

Comment

I checked on the accounts for my two oldest and neither of them had points carried over from youth hunts to adult hunts

Comment

Originally posted by uncle jesse View Post
                            I checked on the accounts for my two oldest and neither of them had points carried over from youth hunts to adult hunts
                            Thats what I figured. In a way its good they capped the youth applications per area to 3 but in a way its not because the last year they were eligible I was going to put them in for everything Also can look at it this way, why should those points carry over, they didn't cost anything.
                            Last edited by bossbowman; 07-27-2018, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Anybody archery hunt deer at Gov Canyon, Kickapoo, or Lake Brownwood. I have not so looking for some thoughts from those who have.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                                If your daughter is 17 or younger you should really check out the Texas Youth Hunting Program. It is a fantastic program.

TYHP Learn and Apply Advanced Hunting Skills

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
                                I've never heard of this program. Definitely gonna check it out for my son who is starting to hunt this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X