Hanging Trail Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging Trail Cameras

Ok. So i have been doing some research. I'm getting close to that time when I will be heading out to put cameras out in the areas I want to monitor prior to season opening up. I'm thinking of hanging my cameras up high. 10-15 feet. Hoping this will be limit the risk of them being stolen. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

I've done that, especially right after I bought my place. I had some visitors that had evidently been hunting the place before I bought it, and I lost one camera to a thief. I guess they got the message, because I've never missed another one.

However, if I want to hang one on a scrape I always stand on the back of my cart and hang it as high as I can reach. It keeps them coming. Otherwise, I've had some older bucks that wouldn't come back and the scrape would be abandoned.

Comment

I weld my own and its all I use on all my cameras. They are fully adjustable for any angle and bottom or back mount. I have a few about 15 ft up I use for security on my gates.
      Attached Files

Comment

I've put cameras at about 8-10 feet with good success. One tip is to require a step of some sort to reach it.

I haven't tried the hot glue gun and tree bark but I believe it's the way to go if you really want to get serious. Do this and hang them at about 7-10 feet and you should be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye18WnrKMpY

Comment

That is pretty awesome what he did. That's definitely getting serious in hiding your cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
            I weld my own and its all I use on all my cameras. They are fully adjustable for any angle and bottom or back mount. I have a few about 15 ft up I use for security on my gates.
            Can you see any detail with your camera 15ft up in a tree? Seems like it would be too far away from the deer most of the time. Unless the deer was directly underneath and cam pointing straight down.

Comment

That wouldn't seem accurate. Cameras have a decent detection sensor. Being 10-15 feet up isn't gonna impact that too much IMO. In addition, quite a few people do it already with success. TBS, I wouldn't hearing from the person(s) that has had horrible experience hanging their TC high.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                Can you see any detail with your camera 15ft up in a tree? Seems like it would be too far away from the deer most of the time. Unless the deer was directly underneath and cam pointing straight down.
                The only cameras I have up that high are on my gates. I have no issues picking up good pics with those. All of hunting spots are about 4' off the ground.

Comment

8ft vs 12ft
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have found just reaching up and putting them as high as you can reach is typically enough. Most people when walking are looking towards the ground or out in the distance and don't really see them just above eye level. I have had guys walking right past them for days and not even realize it.

Comment

Any close up pics of the DIY camera mounts... Here is what I am using for the smaller type cams such as the browning strike force... This setup is lacking a bolt, 3washers and the nut to hold the I bolts together...
                      Attached Files

Comment

This is what I started doing a couple years ago. Just two eye bolts bolted together

Comment

Originally posted by robert97dodge View Post
                          https://www.qdma.com/build-diy-trail-camera-mount/

This is what I started doing a couple years ago. Just two eye bolts bolted together
                          That looks good!! I use that set up as well but since I plan on moving the cameras often the spike part will be staying in the trees...

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                            Any close up pics of the DIY camera mounts... Here is what I am using for the smaller type cams such as the browning strike force... This setup is lacking a bolt, 3washers and the nut to hold the I bolts together...
                            Here you go. Some pics of it back mounted and bottom mounted and close ups. The bolt thing yall are doing is basically the same concept. I like welding mine and putting a handle on them to tighten it all down. No wrenches required in the field to adjust your angle for another tree or whatever. The flat bar is drilled and tapped. I make mine out of carbon flat bar and then prime and spray with bedliner.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here you go. Some pics of it back mounted and bottom mounted and close ups. The bolt thing yall are doing is basically the same concept. I like welding mine and putting a handle on them to tighten it all down. No wrenches required in the field to adjust your angle for another tree or whatever. The flat bar is drilled and tapped. I make mine out of carbon flat bar and then prime and spray with bedliner.
                              Awesome and thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                              X