No announcement yet.

LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grapevine was frustrating but I can't complain about getting to hunt monster bucks 20 minutes from my house. I hunted hard, saw 2 shooter bucks all year, killed a doe, shot a hog, saw quite a few hogs and coyotes.

I had trail camera pics of shooter bucks walking by my stands in daylight (night as well) while I wasn't there, which was very frustrating. I would then hunt those stands and see nothing. I never heard of anyone shooting a buck out there this year, so who knows what was killed.

I learned some new spots, spent time in the woods and got some meat for the freezer, so I can't complain. I didn't shoot anything at all last year, so getting something on the ground was pretty satisfying.

Comment

Anybody know units that tend to hold turkey? I've never killed a turkey and really want to. I've heard turkeys once at the G Lands but never seen any on the hoof.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
        Anybody know units that tend to hold turkey? I've never killed a turkey and really want to. I've heard turkeys once at the G Lands but never seen any on the hoof.

Of course I haven't seen any turkey out there until today and I found four of them! At least we walked out of there with a hog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Troy, there are quite a few turkey on the vine. Have walked up within 15 yards of a flock of 10 in the area we hunt there before. Didn’t have my release for some reason so tried to finger shoot. Didn’t work out well.

Comment

That's good to know. I've heard of them on private property backing up to the Vine and I've heard them once but never seen any on the hoof or trail camera. I will definitely give it a try though.

Comment

What is the vine? No I'm not going to poach your spot :-) I like mine.

Comment

Grapevine Lake. You can hunt there but it's on a draw system. Nice deer there as well.

Comment

Grapevine Lake. You can hunt there but it's on a draw system. Nice deer there as well.

You have to be drawn for turkey?

Comment

You have to be drawn for deer. You can kill turkey on the general permit, I believe.

Comment

If you don't mind walking, or riding a bike, behind the main horse camp (Tadra Point). They had the road that went around the backside closed off last time I was up there. There are a bunch of birds back there. Also, units 8 and USED to be good. I haven't hunted up there in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntin_Toona View Post
                        If you don't mind walking, or riding a bike, behind the main horse camp (Tadra Point). They had the road that went around the backside closed off last time I was up there. There are a bunch of birds back there. Also, units 8 and USED to be good. I haven't hunted up there in a few years.
                        Thank you!

Comment

Found a camera and tree setup out on LBJ today. I always carry a card reader with me and checked the card. Looks like the owner has thrown corn several times since the end of December. Also, he cut down several whole trees, and left a case of empty beer cans and a bottle of liquor under his tree. I hope it’s no one on the green screen.....

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                            Found a camera and tree setup out on LBJ today. I always carry a card reader with me and checked the card. Looks like the owner has thrown corn several times since the end of December. Also, he cut down several whole trees, and left a case of empty beer cans and a bottle of liquor under his tree. I hope it’s no one on the green screen.....

What unit? That sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

Email clrhodes@fs.fed.us. I found a similar situation during the season but it was a mineral block. Let him know and he took care of it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rich1201 View Post
                                Email clrhodes@fs.fed.us. I found a similar situation during the season but it was a mineral block. Let him know and he took care of it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Will do.
                                There’s a few pretty good pictures of the guy, so an ID might be possible.
                                I’ll have to get the GPS coordinates from my hunting buddy, since my phone took a dump right after I downloaded the pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X