Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving Sam - Abandoned Puppy (long read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving Sam - Abandoned Puppy (long read)

This weekend I was at the ranch in Realitos, Tx. On the way back from an evening hunt, I noticed a puppy at the barn. Scared, cold (<45 deg out), skinny, and extremely dirty, she wouldn’t allow me to touch her. Left some food for her as I could tell she hadn’t eaten in days.

Next morning, I go to let the three big dogs (GWPs) out of their porch kennels. When I did so, I realized the puppy had wedged herself between the kennels, for warmth I imagine. After she finally allowed me to pick her up, I realized just how filthy/skinny she was. Totally covered in fleas as well.

Turns out the puppy is an absolute sweetheart. After feeding her and giving her multiple flea baths, she’d follow me everywhere. I stepped on her multiple times because she wanted to be directly underneath me at all times. I had no intention of keeping the dog but I could not leave her out there. She’d be coyote food in no time. My brother is a vet and attempted to make arrangements for her. No luck. Regardless, I packed up the puppy and took her with me to my parents’ for Christmas festivities, still intending to find her a home.

She was the life of the party! This is the friendliest puppy you will ever meet! I’ve owned dogs my entire life and never met one with the personality this little one has. She’s extremely vocal. Always “talking” to you and purrs like a cat when she’s falling asleep Lol She’ll walk up to a total stranger, allow them to pick her up/cradle her like a baby, and she’ll be asleep in ten seconds Lol I purposely refused to name her because I had no intention of keeping the dog. After a few days, I couldn’t imagine giving her up.

Brought “Sam” home to Houston and she’s been great! Went to the vet and got her all taken care of. She had hookworms, a skin infection on her belly, and an obvious infestation of fleas... all of which have been remedied. Got all her vaccines and starts Trifexis today. 11 weeks old and 9.6 pounds. She wasn’t too stressed about the vet ...

I’ve been wanting to get a dog for some time now but decided it wasn’t the time for me considering I’m renting. Turns out the landlord/college buddy of mine loves her. Even allows me to leave her out downstairs (tile) while I’m at work. Looks like everything worked out, for myself AND the puppy. May have found myself a hunting buddy. She’s got a great nose! Always on the ground or straight up in the air. She even started fetching her toy squirrel.

Anyways... sorry for the long read. Obviously I’m excited about my new pup and wanted to share some pics and the experience. Here’s Sam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWESOME!! Kudos to you sir and thank you for sharing

Comment

Nice read, sounds like it was ment to be

Comment

Great story.

Great looking pup.

Great of you for caring!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

those kinds of dogs make the best, most loyal dogs ever.

Comment

Thats awesome

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
              those kinds of dogs make the best, most loyal dogs ever.
              Loyal to a fault Lol She cries when I leave a room full of people. When I shower, she scratches at the door... So I let her in. Then she's peaking in the curtain, trying to get in. Hopefully she'll grow out of it after a while.

Comment

That is how you find the best dogs. Great story and write up.

Comment

Congratulations on your new dog. Looks like you've got a new shadow, bona-fide home alarm, and road-trip buddy for the next decade or so.

Keep her

Comment

That is good stuff right there! That pup hit the owner lottery being in the right place at the right time...

Good on you!

Comment

Merry Christmas to you both and what a blessing for you both... Happy ending.. Love them...

Comment

Thanks guys. Encountered an unexpected problem, though... My gf is getting a bit jealous! Lol

Comment

Good stuff. Good for you bro. To many sad stories. This one is a great one. Youll have a loyal buddy for life. Sam knows you were her savior. Cuddle up.

Comment

Good deal

Comment

Good job!!

Comment

Working...
                              X