#*%! Acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Well in the Hill Country and some of West Texas we have thousands of oaks. Picking one magical tree in a 40 yard circle to set a tree stand when 20-30K trees are producing on 2400 acres is futile looking for that one deer.
    If I only had ~10 hardwoods an acre to deal with, I could do some serious damage

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
      Low IQ- I didn't say I hadn't considered that. The lease contract stipulates that hunters must only hunt from the established blinds. I'm sure you're pleased with your clever joke. Now go Google the definition of "stipulate"
      Wow! Yall have no flexibility with that? I see your problem....yuck

Comment

Low IQ- I didn't say I hadn't considered that. The lease contract stipulates that hunters must only hunt from the established blinds. I'm sure you're pleased with your clever joke. Now go Google the definition of "stipulate"

Knowing LF's sarcasm meter....That was more of a shot at the folks that say get off your corn and go hunt a single oak tree as blanket statement for all regions as if it works in all regions.. It was said tongue in cheek to them....Wasn't directed at you.

Happens all the time. But as I described earlier its a futile exercise.

Comment

Well in the Hill Country and some of West Texas we have thousands of oaks. Picking one magical tree in a 40 yard circle to set a tree stand when 20-30K trees are producing on 2400 acres is futile looking for that one deer.
          Well I would fertilize an area or plant tree spikes anything to push the odds to my favor. Cultivating a few oaks will cause the deer to concentrate on a specific tree.

Comment

He's not in East Texas where they have one oak tree and 300 pines
            Just finished 5 days on 35k acres. 3/4 were oak... most dropping. Seen deer every day.

Little known fact: you don't have to hunt a food source either

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Just finished 5 days on 35k acres. 3/4 were oak... most dropping. Seen deer every day.

Little known fact: you don't have to hunt a food source either
              Seeing deer in my county is easy too..

Killing them is another deal.
              Last edited by Smart; 12-02-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                Wow! Yall have no flexibility with that? I see your problem....yuck
                Yes our LO is over cautious. It's frustrating.

Comment

Yes our LO is over cautious. It's frustrating.
                  Yessir, I can see that. Goodness

Comment

Just to be clear, I totally understand that this works in East Texas.....I'm just saying that blanketing all regions with get off your corn and hunt an oak tree is not as easy as it seems back home. I wish we had single big whiteoaks on nothing but mesquite and cedar flats out here......but picking the right trees in 20-30K tree, for the right deer and going to the trouble of setting a stand is gonna be a little more challenging..
                    Last edited by Smart; 12-02-2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

It’s obvious that deer prefer acorns to corn. The method we use allows us to keep acorns longer. Once all the native acorns “sour” we continue to pour them out through the end of the season. Works really good in late season.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeaster View Post
                        It’s obvious that deer prefer acorns to corn. The method we use allows us to keep acorns longer. Once all the native acorns “sour” we continue to pour them out through the end of the season. Works really good in late season.
                        Yessir, a guy I work with does this. He has a big Red Oak that dumps acorns on his drive way. He sweeps them up and throws them where he hunts, kills deer every year.

Comment

This thread shows that there are definitely different hunting techniques depending on the geographical area. From just reading Smarts comments has opened my eyes on a couple of matters. As stated no one blanket hunting technique will work.

Comment

Not trying to come off as a Jim shockey/ Stan Potts love child elite hunter trained under dr. Deer. I'm all for whatever works best. I don't have 15-20 days a month any longer to hunt. Every hour I'm afforded has to be taken full advantage of. If the are at feeders.... I'm not too proud. I've killed dozens and will continue to do so if needed.... But when the "I'm seeing zero because of acorns" comment comes up, I'm blown away with people refusal to "try" another method.

OP has to hunt a "set up", I understand that for safety on certain places. I wouldn't sign on for that but it is what it is, your handicapped to that.

Hunting landscape is my best technique. Creek crossings, edges of the thicker stuff/bedding areas, interior fence crossings, gate openings. There are hundreds of ways to hunt them, so if your not handicapped to one method..... try plan B. If your seeing nothing, there's nothing to lose

Comment

wet weather will sour the acorns. Crazy amount of acorns this year most I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                Not trying to come off as a Jim shockey/ Stan Potts love child elite hunter trained under dr. Deer. I'm all for whatever works best. I don't have 15-20 days a month any longer to hunt. Every hour I'm afforded has to be taken full advantage of. If the are at feeders.... I'm not too proud. I've killed dozens and will continue to do so if needed.... But when the "I'm seeing zero because of acorns" comment comes up, I'm blown away with people refusal to "try" another method.

OP has to hunt a "set up", I understand that for safety on certain places. I wouldn't sign on for that but it is what it is, your handicapped to that.

Hunting landscape is my best technique. Creek crossings, edges of the thicker stuff/bedding areas, interior fence crossings, gate openings. There are hundreds of ways to hunt them, so if your not handicapped to one method..... try plan B. If your seeing nothing, there's nothing to lose
                                Yep

Comment

Working...
                                X