Clear All

Its factoring people, not solving.

Comment

Google......
      Be gettin' a work out in this thread...

Comment

-(5x^2-17x-20)

Comment

So her is what my wife the math major came up with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	math.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	24502552

Comment

Originally posted by dbenn454 View Post
            Its factoring people, not solving.
            Actually, the OP didn't clarify if the problem was asked to be factored or solved.

But in reality, solving and factoring are one-in-the same in that they simply put the original equation in a format to allow the user to find the numerical solutions for the variable.

The difference is semantic and only teachers and people interested in theory care for the difference between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
              Actually, the OP didn't clarify if the problem was asked to be factored or solved.

But in reality, solving and factoring are one-in-the same in that they simply put the original equation in a format to allow the user to find the numerical solutions for the variable.

The difference is semantic and only teachers and people interested in theory care for the difference between the two.

If it was solving it would say -5x^2 +17x+20 = 0. There is a huge difference. He said in the original post FACTORING used to be what he was good at. There is no equals sign so this is not solving. You cannot solve if this is not equal to something. OP can clear it all up, but I'm not wrong.

Comment

No thanks, I've done enough thinking for the day.

Comment

This is the answer the Professor wants. In either that form or like this since it is more refined (5x-2)(3-x) + 26 = -5x^2 +17x + 20
                  This ^^^
                  brought back what I learned ~30 years ago.

TO check him, multipy what's in parenthesis
                  FOIL
                  First - (15x)
                  Outside- (-5x^2)
                  Inside - (-6)
                  Last - (2x)
                  = -5x^2+15x+2x-6(+26)
                  = -5x^2+17x+20

Comment

Post #5 I was asked it I wanted it factored. Post #6 I answered yes. Still I'm going to send him off to the math tutor to find out how his prof. wants this done.

Comment

Beer me

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Now I have a headache and need to lie down.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post

Post #5 I was asked it I wanted it factored. Post #6 I answered yes. Still I'm going to send him off to the math tutor to find out how his prof. wants this done.

I bet you a bag of pea gravel I'm right.
                          Last edited by dbenn454; 07-17-2017, 01:23 PM. Reason: *

Comment

I bet you a bag of pea gravel I'm right.
                            Vanilla flavored!

Comment

I could tell you but than neither one of you (or the rest of TBH) would know how to solve the equation in the future.

Comment

Sorry...I forgot the in my previous ramblings.

Is this that new skooling they be doing nowadays

Comment

Working...
                                X