No announcement yet.

Menard county hunting updates 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a pretty big acorn crop across most of the county and traffic at feeders has slowed. The deer were really hitting the alfalfa when the browse turned a little brown. The deer are really putting on the weight and slicking off which is typical when you have a good mast crop. As of this morning, I have had only a shower, none of the heavy rains that are predicted. AggieArcher, you can join our group as you are close enough and the majority of the folks out here are Aggies.
    Adios,
    Gary

Comment

We are in the southeast part of the county near the intersection of 1773 and 1221. Lots of does and yearling bucks and a few decent young 8s, but no studs yet. Maybe when the rut starts we'll see some different bucks come through. We definitely have the ladies to bring them around. Also, had the first hog we've seen in the three years we've had the place show up two weeks ago. Hope he kept on moving.

Comment

Always rain to green things up right before and beginning of season. Last year was a terrible year in general for us the entire season. Acorns were terrible and it was green for a long time. It can be a rain forest as far as I am concerned though, I can't wait for that first sit and many more this season!!!!

Comment

Went and filled feeders over Labor Day weekend, lots of acorns as said above. Our place was pretty green everywhere. South/west of Menard off 2291.

Comment

Any rain today Gary??

Comment

At 8:30, all I have had is a couple of sprinkles here in town but it looks like we have rain moving in from the south. They are saying that the heavier rain will be on the west side of a line from Abilene to Junction. I will keep you posted on what I see and hear.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                At 8:30, all I have had is a couple of sprinkles here in town but it looks like we have rain moving in from the south. They are saying that the heavier rain will be on the west side of a line from Abilene to Junction. I will keep you posted on what I see and hear.
                Adios,
                Gary
                Sounds good, thanks!!

Comment

Anyone know how the roads are?

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                    Menard/Callan Lane.
                    Just went up there last weekend and filled all the feeders and repaired stands.
                    It was hot and dry up there. Not a lot of green grass or ground foliage. Dove hunting was pitiful.
                    We did see 2 Blackbuck does and a yearling. Not sure where they came from, but we are low fence and do have a roaming Axis herd.

Any updates from any other parts of the county?
                    As a crow flies you are not far from me either in Brady near the lake. We have lots of deer pictures but mainly young deer or 2.5-4.5 yr old spikes and dinks. 2nd year on the place so going to start the culling process. Our Axis herd is all but vanished through the summer. We are mainly a wintering ground I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
                      Anyone know how the roads are?
                      Anyone been on the dirt roads? Are they pretty muddy or decent for a 2WD

Comment

Our place is west of town on the river. We see lots of axis but not many whitetail.

Comment

Roads are really muddy as the rains have fallen really slowly. I have had only .7" in town but most every rancher I have talked with has had about an inch and a half. Misty, cloudy this morning so not going to dry out much. Supposed to get a little more rain today and tomorrow but I don't think more that a quarter to a half inch. It will be really wet Saturday morning but then I am betting that the sun will come out and begin to dry it out.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

Roads are really muddy as the rains have fallen really slowly. I have had only .7" in town but most every rancher I have talked with has had about an inch and a half. Misty, cloudy this morning so not going to dry out much. Supposed to get a little more rain today and tomorrow but I don't think more that a quarter to a half inch. It will be really wet Saturday morning but then I am betting that the sun will come out and begin to dry it out.
                            Adios,
                            Gary
                            From what I have seen as I checked the radar multiple times a day for the last couple days, the rain looks to be from Menard (town) to the west. I'm at the farthest point you could go east in Menard county off of 190 and looks like we may have gotten a few showers but not much hopefully. Have you heard anything or seen the far east side of the county? The rain doesn't usually bother me, but I'll be bringing my camper in tomorrow and may not be able to get it in if it's too muddy.

Comment

Adios,
                              Gary
                              Thanks!

Comment

At 1:00 PM, I had collected an even inch over the entire raining spell. There has been rains east of town as well, I am guessing an inch or a little more according to a buddy I saw at the feed store this morning. I would estimate close to two inches south and west of Menard, about an inch and a half north of town at noon.
                                Ranch roads are going to be really soft as we have not experienced any hard rain; most of it went into the ground.
                                Still sprinkling.
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X