Coyote Trapping Kit Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyote Trapping Kit Recommendations

Do you guys recommend any particular coyote trapping kit?

Anybody? Any thoughts on this kit:
    The Coyote Trapping Starter Kit is designed to quickly and easily get you started trapping coyotes. Buy coyote traps and trapping kits at F&T trading post!

Comment

MB Predator Starter Kit 6- MB-550-RC Offset 2-Coil 6-MB Chain Stakes Attached 1-Super Stake Driver 1-Pound Logwood Trap Dye 1-Sodbuster Tool 1-Metal Sifter with Diamond Mesh 1-22 Standard Trowel 1-Dobbins Land Sets Book 1-9oz MB Predator Bait 1-4oz Red Fox Urine 1-Cavens Minnesota Red (1oz) 1-Cavens Violator 7 (1oz)

Comment

Wouldn't recommend one over the other, even though I prefer the mb traps, but the other one comes with an instructional DVD, I do recommend that and any others you can get your hands on plus all the online videos. Coyotes can be tricky to get to the point of catching with consistency.

Comment

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the starting kit. Looking forward to learn how to catch some coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
            Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the starting kit. Looking forward to learn how to catch some coyotes.
            It's fun and will help with fawn recruitment, especially at this time of the year. I'm sure it will be in the dvd, but be **** about scent control, that's your biggest enemy.

Comment

So i purchased the kit above that has 6 Duke #2 offsets (two-coil) but after doing a lot of research I see people don't recommend using the Duke #2's for coyotes because they can break easy. The website says the Duke #2's can be used for coyotes. Does anyone know if these traps will work for coyotes?

Comment

There are ways to beef them up. I use mb traps and double longs, but keep a few dukes around. Go to trapperman.com and look at the tutorial page. There’s trap kids on there that will help hold a coyote in that duke trap.

Comment

Trap tips. I don’t know why it said trap kids.... lol

Comment

Thanks! I went ahead and purchased base plates to weld on the bottom with a bottom swivel as well as some MB crunchproof swivels. I’m hoping this will make them a little stronger and last longer. I’ll check out the tips you mentioned above.

Comment

My favorite are MB650 offset laminated and number 3-4 longspring traps
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2019, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I use #4 sleepy creek for coyotes and Bobcats. Tried Duke traps, but the coyotes tore them up. Duke is the only brand I will not buy again. The larger jaw spread on the #4s seem to work better for Bobcats. I use #5 bridger 4 coils for lions, be sure to weld all s and j hooks. Have done a bunch of predator control over the years, scent control isn't anything to worried about. I have never used gloves or know anyone that traps a bunch to mess with them. Put a rock or stick under the loose jaw, helps to give it a solid bed. Mole dirt works well to cover trap. I always use a piece of saran wrap to keep dirt and stones from getting under the pan.

Comment

I ended up purchasing the following to modify my duke #2's:
                          - Base plates with bottom swivel
                          - Lamination kit
                          - Crunchproof swivels

I'll weld all of these mods on as soon as i get my traps from the ranch and let you know how it works. I’m hoping these modifications will make them stronger and last longer because I want to do whatever I can to make these traps work. Let me know if you guys have any more tips.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                            I ended up purchasing the following to modify my duke #2's:
                            - Base plates with bottom swivel
                            - Lamination kit
                            - Crunchproof swivels

I'll weld all of these mods on as soon as i get my traps from the ranch and let you know how it works. I’m hoping these modifications will make them stronger and last longer because I want to do whatever I can to make these traps work. Let me know if you guys have any more tips.
                            Adding those items should definitely make the traps stronger. I know guys who consistently catch coyotes and bobcats with those traps. I ended buying Bridger #2 Dogless traps about a year ago. Only modification I did was level the pan and adjust pan tension. Ended up catching a coyote on the first trap I ever put in the ground. Its fun and addicting.

Comment

If you are trapping in hard rocky ground, you might want to add some chain and grapples to your kit. Driving and pulling those stakes can be a challenge at times in some ground. If there is plenty of brush for them to hang up on they work great.

A variety of different length stakes is handy too. Coyotes are bad about jacking stakes out of the ground if they aren't long enough for the soil conditions.

Comment

Working...
                              X