13 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13 Years

Thirteen years ago today 1/26/2006 I made the best decision of my life. I admitted I was powerless over alcohol and started living.

I was never an everyday drinker but when I would drink I was unable to control my drinking and toward the end would not stop until the bar closed, was completely out, passed out or in jail. It took me awhile to see how alcohol had actually controlled my life. I wouldn’t go on a fishing trip, hunting trip, barbeque or just about any type of event without making sure I had enough beer. This not only affected me but my family life also. I lost my first wife with the help of alcohol and all though I kept a good relationship with my kids it could had been better. I don’t want to get into my legal problems that it caused me but it was several thousands of dollars. I never lost my house or job but was heading that way and if I hadn’t stopped when I had then it was eventually going to go away.

I was never forced to go to AA but went on my own accord 2 days prior. I was a broken man fearing that I was going to prison for 10 years and wouldn’t be around to watch my girls graduate high school and college and maybe even see them wed. I went their thinking it was some kind of class to teach you how to drink responsible. When I left I was in tears because everyone started telling me where they were and where they are now and for the first time I seen how God’s miracles work. I still get teary eyed thinking and speaking of that night. I never would have thought I would find God in a room full of drunks and addicts but I did!

My life has done nothing but improve since then, I got remarried ( 10 Years) have a great relationship with me kids and have 6 grandkids that wants to come see pawpaw. I have gotten a few promotions at work, was sent overseas and the future is looking bright. I go to church regularly to learn about God but still go to AA to help others and see how God works in others’ lives.

I admire and envy the people that can control their drinking and I have several friends that can, but not me. I’m only sharing this so it may be help someone out there that may be dealing with an issue in this nature and let them know there is hope. I was told about 5-6 years prior that my brother was an alcoholic that wasn’t an everyday drinker but couldn’t stop when he started. I thought to myself at that time, do I have that issue and my response then was nah, he’s just weak.

Sorry for the long read, have a good day as I know God has great things planned for me today!

Great Job!

Comment

Outstanding! Congratulations on your success.

Comment

Well done sir. Congrats on the life saving choice.

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Originally posted by courtstamper View Post
            Thanks, I've never seen that before but it pretty much sums it up!!

Comment

Good stuff right there! Thanks for sharing my man.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to you sir.

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Attaboy!

Comment

Proud of you!

Comment

Good job

Comment

Awesome- And I would say you have done better than anyone at controlling Your life and “drinking problem”. You have control of your life

Comment

Good on you, deerplanter! Thanks for sharing your story and hoping it helps someone else who is struggling with a drinking problem!

Where is Beach City?

Comment

I’m sure your wife and kids are proud of you man. Congrats to you.
                              I’m 12 days in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X