The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Co Elk View Post
    During archery season the are still in summer range and it the best time if you go the last 10 days of the season. Don't let a lot of people in an area deter you look for fresh sign and follow it the will be hiding from the pressure but once you find that spot hang on it will get exciting
    We are tentatively looking at hunting the 16th-22th which is immediately following muzzle loader season. Since it is both of our first elk hunts we are hoping to catch them bugling so we can get the whole experience. It will also be nice to hopefully have them helping us out in locating them. We are going in with very realistic expectations and wont be holding out for any kind of trophy. Both of us would be thrilled to just take home some coolers full of meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Elk View Post
      During archery season the are still in summer range and it the best time if you go the last 10 days of the season. Don't let a lot of people in an area deter you look for fresh sign and follow it the will be hiding from the pressure but once you find that spot hang on it will get exciting
      Really? all those elk at 6.5k’ I kept blowing out didn’t get the memo...... for the last 15 years. Elk are always where you find them. They are not strictly a mountain animal, they came from the plains.
      Last edited by Texans42; 12-08-2017, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Got a BA copper spur 2 tent. and a etekcity mini camp stove. One step closer to backpack hunting for elk, mule deer, and bear! Anybody have experience with this stove? How did you like it

Comment

Wyoming Application period has opened! Get your lottery tickets boys. AZ coming too.

Comment

NM proclamation came out today, for those of y'all wanting to start picking out hunts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking for some info on unit 751 , my brother and I are gonna otc it in September probably around the 11th-24th curious about this time of year and what to expect as far where they might be this time of year .. . . Thinking of coming in from the north through unit 76 . We are planning on having camp on our backs . Any info would be greatly appreciated .
              Last edited by Grulla; 01-16-2018, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
                Looking for some info on unit 751 , my brother and I are gonna otc it in September probably around the 11th-24th curious about this time of year and what to expect as far where they might be this time of year .. . . Thinking of coming in from the north through unit 76 . We are planning on having camp on our backs . Any info would be greatly appreciated .
                I've never hunted it but backpack the wilderness every August since 2008.

The places I have spotted elk are better suited for mountain goats. So with that said, only advice I can offer is start working now to get in the best shape possible because, even then, the steepness and elevation will own you.

Also, pack some fishing gear in the chance you tag out.

Comment

If you were going elk hunting and could choose from the the following choices what would you pick and why?

Hunt will be in Chama, New Mexico Archery

Second week of of the season, little early for full rut but no moon/new moon
                  or
                  Last week, probably better rut action, but full moon.
                  Both would be a 5 day hunt.
                  Is it just personal preference, this will be my first elk hunt and wondered if either one would increase my odds? Getting pretty excited
                  Thanks

Comment

Bsills,

Are you hunting with Rio Brazos in Chama?

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
                      Bsills,

Are you hunting with Rio Brazos in Chama?
                      No sir, headed to Fishtail Ranch.

Comment

I just booked with an outfitter in Montana for this season. Points in Wyoming, Colorado, AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                          I just booked with an outfitter in Montana for this season. Points in Wyoming, Colorado, AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          It’s hard to just do points in AZ when most premium units have 1 or 2 lotto NR tags floating around.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            It’s hard to just do points in AZ when most premium units have 1 or 2 lotto NR tags floating around.

I'm not chasing the premium tags. 4 or 5 points will get me the units I'm looking for. Some deer units I'm looking at can be drawn every 3rd year. Trying to get it lined up where I can get a good hunt in Az, Colorado, and Wyoming with a year in between to chase mule deer

Comment

I'm not chasing the premium tags. 4 or 5 points will get me the units I'm looking for. Some deer units I'm looking at can be drawn every 3rd year. Trying to get it lined up where I can get a good hunt in Az, Colorado, and Wyoming with a year in between to chase mule deer
                              This is similar to what I'm trying to do.

Comment

I put in for most western states. What I try to do is have a short term, mid-term, and long term plan.

AZ the Elk unit(s) I want take 7-9 years so I count that as a mid-term. I'm at 7 so I'm close! After I blow my deer points in AZ I'm going to put in for a much easier unit, but I can't waste my points I have now.. WY I'll never catch up to max so I'm pretty much on the mid-term plan since nothing is "easy" to win there.. Utah and Nevada are pretty much all long term. NM I put in for easier units in the Guide Draw (although I DIY it). My goal is to try to get NM every other year or so.

Then I always have a back up plan if I don't win crap.. My current backup plan is leftover Coues hunting.. It's too much fun to pass up

Comment

Working...
                                X