Searching for dead deer with drone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for dead deer with drone??

I watched an awesome old buck, drinking water at my trough. He was obviously on his last leg and I suspect he has died of natural causes by now. I put a camera at that trough and he has not been back. I wonder if anybody has used a drone to do an aerial grid type search for a dead animal. I plan to do a lot of walking but the terrain is rough and it will be hard to cover it all. The rack is too big to let the varmints have it.
    Attached Files

Well. I'm sorry for the upside down pic. If he was in that position, I wouldn't need help finding him.

Comment

we were talking about the legalities of drone use in Texas on Michael's thread. just be careful on what you decide to do. TPWD so far has not made definitive statements on drone use other than to say they are covered under the Airborne Hunting act.

other states have been much more decisive and are outright banning their use in almost every aspect related to hunting.

with all that to say, it is a legal gray area.

edit: that is an old brute right there.

Comment

sss

Comment

Fly it in winter when ground cover and leaves on trees have dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
            we were talking about the legalities of drone use in Texas on Michael's thread. just be careful on what you decide to do. TPWD so far has not made definitive statements on drone use other than to say they are covered under the Airborne Hunting act.

other states have been much more decisive and are outright banning their use in almost every aspect related to hunting.

with all that to say, it is a legal gray area.

edit: that is an old brute right there.

Comment

Curious as to why you didn't shoot him ?

Comment

Man what a hoss bodey, too bad you didn't catch up to him.

Comment

I would not think using a drone to look for a deer that is dead would not be an issue

Now if you were trying to locate a deer so you could make it dead then that would be a problem

But I am no lawyer or even have a great understanding of game laws past the hunting stuff in the outdoor annual

Comment

Deer stood at water trough for 25 minutes, drinking and looking around. Trough is 65 yards, feeder at 20. I think he was too poor to come to feeder and eat. Took lots of video but couldnt take that shot.

I was wondering if somebody on green screen had or knew of someone that flys and videos with a drone as a service. West Texas area.
                    Last edited by Bodey; 11-09-2017, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Fixed the picture, hope you find him.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Dustin

Comment

looks like a friggin mule deer

Comment

Hope you find that deer to get the rack. That's a heck of an old buck.

Comment

Man what a deer! Old or sick that's a bad deal. If he feels like he looked you might have been able to get out walked closer and shot before he ran off.

Comment

Working...
                              X