No announcement yet.

Issues broadhead tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bow at static should have some cam lean. Ideally the cams should be pointed to about 1/4" right of the D-loop for a right handed shooter.

Comment

Drawl length has nothing to do with the equation of arrow spine.

Only poundage, arrow length, and to an extent, cam design.

Comment

Originally posted by boweye View Post

Sure it does. It's the amount of time the arrow has power applied and directly relates to how long an arrow you can use

Comment

Yes draw length has a lot to do with spine. This is where the amount of force that is applied to the arrow. My 26.5 draw is not going to apply the same amount of force to an arrow from same bow at 29 inch draw. No matter how long or short the arrow is.

From what I see you wrote, is do to what or how we find spine on a chart. Charts are a rough calculation. Plus charts are set up so if you choose a 26 arrow then your draw is 26 inches. Old school

If you use a program. Draw length makes a big difference.

Comment

A bow at static should have some cam lean. Ideally the cams should be pointed to about 1/4" right of the D-loop for a right handed shooter.
            Yes bows have cam lean but the amount you start with all depends on spine of arrow and the amount of tourqe the shooter is applying to a bow.

Comment

I respectfully disagree on the importance of drawl length affect on arrow deflection. I believe the initial release of energy has the greatest affect on arrow deflection and the time thereafter has minimal influence.

I think the arrow is much like a race car, the longer on the track, the faster it goes... but the frame of the car is torqued during the initial start. Thus the arrow's deflection is caused by the initial release of stored energy.

You are right that spine programs use the information.

Comment

I respectfully disagree on the importance of drawl length affect on arrow deflection. I believe the initial release of energy has the greatest affect on arrow deflection and the time thereafter has minimal influence.

I think the arrow is much like a race car, the longer on the track, the faster it goes... but the frame of the car is torqued during the initial start. Thus the arrow's deflection is caused by the initial release of stored energy.

You are right that spine programs use the information.
                Let's talk about this. If the draw made no difference. And the energy into the arrow was just at the release and nothing else then speed of the arrow would be the same no matter what draw length.

Energy is being applied to the arrow as long as it's on the string. And the arrow is being flexed one direction. As soon as arrow leaves the string it will start to flex in the opposite direction and it starts slowing down.

Same as taking a 28 in arrow. If I shoot it from a 26 in draw bow vs a 29 in bow. The arrow will be dynamically stiff in the 26 in bow.

In the race car. The reason it gets faster is your appling energy to the tires to push it Foward the whole time you give it gas. An arrow has no more energy to push it Foward once it leaves the string
                Last edited by enewman; 02-05-2016, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Alright. Made a slight adjustment to the rest and took out the 20 gr weights to replace them with 50 gr weights. This is where I'm at right now. The arrow to the right is a slick trick mag and the 2 in the bullseye are field points. Only off about 3 inches.

Comment

Ok if I'm reading this correct. You added more weight. Making the arrow dynamiclly weaker. And it moved over. If this is correct. Now turn your bow up from 62 to 65 and see if they get closer.

I have a few more things to say. But I will Waite.

Comment

And this is where things get confusing to me. Took the 50 gr weights out and this is the group at 20 yards. Basically exactly the same.

Comment

Form or centershot issue. I'm going to say form

Comment

Hm. Take one of your arrows. Cut the fletching off. Shoot one fletch and one bare shaft and post pic
                          Last edited by enewman; 02-05-2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Bareshaft was no bueno. Arrow hit sideways and ricocheted off the target. Actually blew up.

Comment

Ok then you are way out of tune. Or you are torquing the dog crap out of your bow.
                              What arrow was that the 340. And what tip weight was you shooting

How tall are you
                              Last edited by enewman; 02-05-2016, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Ya. I'm gonna start from scratch tomorrow or Sunday before the game. I don't think I'm torquing the bow. I have a loose relaxed hand on the bow, but who knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X