Garmin Inreach: Must Have for Hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
    Are we so soft as a society that spending a few days out of communication is such a terrible thing?
    Become incapacitated out there and you shouldn't just be relying on dumb luck for another hunter to find you and rescue you.

Comment

I’ve had one for a few years now. Cheapest peace of mind there is for love ones and bosses.

Comment

I have one of the delorme units before it was garmin. In my opinion one of the most valuable tools I carry in my pack. Call me soft but the ability to touch base with my family occasionally is worth it’s weight in gold to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          I can’t decide if I’m gonna buy a mini or one with a screen. I think I am gonna get one with a screen just to double as a emergency gps and you can type msg on it. I use my phone for maps and to use the delorme but what happens if it goes dead and your backup charger isn’t working? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted the mini, originally, but I think it's worth the nominal extra weight to have navigation, even if just for backup.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
            I’ve had one for a few years now. Cheapest peace of mind there is for love ones and bosses.
            I'll probably get one to stay in touch with my wife while I'm on my elk hunt. I'm definitely playing the no cell service can't talk see ya in 2 weeks card with my boss though...

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              I think it is definitely a must have for hunters who hunt where there is no cell coverage and have significant others back home that worry about them day and night.

In that regard, I am seriously considering getting one for my upcoming back country hunt.
              You could not be more correct. I didn't get lost on my first bow elk hunt but I did walk in complete circle and end up right back where I started. I still do not know how it happened but it was a combination of dark timber/aspens and blow downs. And it was a spot I had hunted the day before. Literally all I had to do was, stand up, turn left and walk about 1 1/2 miles to my house.

I walked for about 30 minutes, topped a hill and there was the huge pine tree I had sat under and ate lunch.

I now take my Garmin, extra batteries and a backup garmin.

Comment

I don't consider it necessary. It would be nice to have, similar to having a a spotting scope, but not necessary.

That being said, I spend way too much time looking at trail maps, calling rangers, and studying the topographic maps before I leave on a trip than most. I am not particularly afraid to go anywhere without cell service. Just have to approach it a certain way.

Comment

Garmin Inreach: Must Have for Hunters?

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  I don't consider it necessary. It would be nice to have, similar to having a a spotting scope, but not necessary.

That being said, I spend way too much time looking at trail maps, calling rangers, and studying the topographic maps before I leave on a trip than most. I am not particularly afraid to go anywhere without cell service. Just have to approach it a certain way.
                  I guess if you broke a leg climbing over deadfall you could use your spotter as a splint.

Getting lost is only part of the equation. I think I could eventually find my way out of an area (especially mountains) in a pinch (although it might require enduring some misery until I did.) There are other scenarios that, IMO, make an inreach type device a fairly essential piece of gear. Broken leg or severely sprained ankle or knee, accidental cut with knife blade while working on an animal, stumble and gash on the rocks (see Zach Griffith), severe altitude sickness or dehydration, severe weather, forest fire/smoke while you're in a remote location, etc. are all legitimate possibilities that could warrant the need for the "panic button" and SAR.

I may wish I had carried a spotter, but I wouldn't want to REGRET not having an Inreach.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Hunted CO on backpack and horse pack in hunts for many, many years in the Weminuche Wilderness and never used one, BUT there was always at least 2 to 3 others in camp at the time that were friends.

Comment

I use the older delorme version. I use my phone for gps but nice to have a back up. Makes my wife more comfortable knowing I'm
                      Ok. I have walked and climbed over enough blow downs with "widow maker " limbs sticking up that it finally dawned on me that having no outside communication was not smart.,

Comment

Working...
                      X