Garmin Inreach: Must Have for Hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin Inreach: Must Have for Hunters?

A continuation of the Elk Prep series...

Is this a "must have" item, especially for the backcountry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Photos

I'm gonna buy the mini before my Colorado elk hunt

Comment

I think it is definitely a must have for hunters who hunt where there is no cell coverage and have significant others back home that worry about them day and night.

In that regard, I am seriously considering getting one for my upcoming back country hunt.

Comment

I have one. Easy to use. Light weight. Cool tech. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, I think. I will rarely, if ever, truly need it. But if I do...

Comment

Are we so soft as a society that spending a few days out of communication is such a terrible thing?

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
            Are we so soft as a society that spending a few days out of communication is such a terrible thing?
            If you’re hunting alone in the backcountry it’s just smart to have even if you never use it

Comment

No, not at all. But if you have an emergency of some sort, which a definite possibility, then being unable to communicate could definitely be a terrible thing.

Comment

My wife is soft...she made me buy it!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
                  I'm gonna buy the mini before my Colorado elk hunt

I can’t decide if I’m gonna buy a mini or one with a screen. I think I am gonna get one with a screen just to double as a emergency gps and you can type msg on it. I use my phone for maps and to use the delorme but what happens if it goes dead and your backup charger isn’t working? [emoji848]

Comment

It's how I get signed off on solo back country hunts from the wife.

Comment

Been using one for years now and it has paid for itself many times over. It is a must have for hunting out West. Not just the emergency portion but the maps and able to connect to other hunters in the area.

Comment

My diabetic son hunts in a place with no phone service. I’ll be getting on for him, just for my own peace of mind. You can call me soft all you want.

Comment

There are many, many reasons for some folks to have them. The least of which is your opinion of them being “soft”!

Comment

I had one on my elk hunt and my moose hunt. I even had it when I packed my bull 4.5 miles solo last year. I felt like a ***** having it in my pack [emoji23]

Comment

We have been using them for back country backpacking expeditions and they are infinitely better than the sat phones for emergency contact. Even used it in the mountains in WY when a road was closed and we were trapped for 6 hours and needed to let people know we were going to be late for an event that night.

Comment

Working...
                              X