Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do YOU cut your carbon arrows to length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Varmicon_qa View Post
    Where I buy my arrows, they will cut them for you at no charge...I thought of doing it myself but whats the point...
    X2

Comment

I use a tubing cutter as well, take it real slow, don't put much pressure on it between turns around the shaft. After the cut, I take some very fine emory paper and polish the cut end to make sure there are no splinters/rough carbon ends.

Comment

I use a arrow saw, at $140 a dozen, I don't want to chance ruining arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by Varmicon_qa View Post
          Where I buy my arrows, they will cut them for you at no charge...I thought of doing it myself but whats the point...
          x2

Comment

I got tired of it too so I bought a Cabelas 8000 rpm arrow saw.

No way I'm using a tubing cutter to cut carbon arrows. It ain't worth the risk of that one arrow exploding and going through my hand/arm.

$80 is pretty cheap insurance against that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

No way I'm using a tubing cutter to cut carbon arrows. It ain't worth the risk of that one arrow exploding and going through my hand/arm.

I been thinking bout that too. I don't think I'll risk it. Thought about it, but it's not worth it

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                I use a arrow saw, at $140 a dozen, I don't want to chance ruining arrows.
                For that much per dozen, I expect the archery shop to cut them to length too.

I tried the tubing cutter, it worked but as it finished cutting I had some carbon fibers on one side will 'holding-on' and I just snapped them with my fingers. If it had been an arrow I'd be shooting, I think I could have made the last cuts with a single edge razor blade and been a little cleaner. It definitely works.

Comment

I use a radiak chop saw, works great, just hit the ends on a scoth brite wheel and theyre good to go.

Comment

Dremel or Die Grinder works great

Comment

Here's what I would do - I would join an archery club and volunteer so I could make friends with local archers. Then I'd ask them if I could borrow their saw. And bow press. Oh, and see if any of them needed help on their ranches with hog depredation.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                        I just saw this and will try the mini tubing cutter. Don't have a pic but I built one of the Harbor Freight cut saws into an arrow saw. Works great and cheap.
                        WCB sent me some specs on his and my buddy built a jig for the HF cut off saw out of aluminum...works great. I have cut alot of carbon arrows on it and yet to have one splinter. I am using the steel blade that came on it also. I will try and take some pics tonight and get em posted. Thanks again WCB!!

Comment

Tubing cutter....

I use a tubing cutter as well. I use masking tape to keep the arrows from splintering. Just tape off the arrow where the end needs to be cut, and cut them. This is the same method we used in cutting graphite golf shafts. Cheap and easy. Jason Slocum

Comment

Any high speed saw of appropriate size with appropriate blades will do just fine. The harbor freight and dremel ideas are great cost savers. I'll have to trip the pipe cutter though, never thought of that one. It makes sense if you take your time and be careful, no reason it shouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

It's a tubing cutter for gods sake, not a diesel powered combine carrying nitro glycerine being held by an epileptic pygmy striking matches repeatedly while juggling sticks of dynamite! If you ran over a carbon arrow with your truck tire, the tire and truck will be safe. You blast the same shafts out of your bow a mere inch from your eye! Is it that volatile? Worst thing you could do is go to fast, against the posters instructions, maybe have a dull blade, and end up with a rough cut end. You should not have ANY emergency room bills here. If you do, step away from the tool box, and list your bow on Ebay. I liked the idea of a poster practicing on a bad arrow. That's just common sense. Oh, and don't use anything but Harley oil in your Harley. You'll ruin it, the engine will cease up, and the world will be a bad place. At least accoring to Harley. They also have people in an "I'm scared to try it mode". Helps with the bottom line. I like people who are do it yerselfers and can think through a fix, instead of tossing money at it, regardless of their personal finances.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumglide View Post
                                It's a tubing cutter for gods sake, not a diesel powered combine carrying nitro glycerine being held by an epileptic pygmy striking matches repeatedly while juggling sticks of dynamite! If you ran over a carbon arrow with your truck tire, the tire and truck will be safe. You blast the same shafts out of your bow a mere inch from your eye! Is it that volatile? Worst thing you could do is go to fast, against the posters instructions, maybe have a dull blade, and end up with a rough cut end. You should not have ANY emergency room bills here. If you do, step away from the tool box, and list your bow on Ebay. I liked the idea of a poster practicing on a bad arrow. That's just common sense. Oh, and don't use anything but Harley oil in your Harley. You'll ruin it, the engine will cease up, and the world will be a bad place. At least accoring to Harley. They also have people in an "I'm scared to try it mode". Helps with the bottom line. I like people who are do it yerselfers and can think through a fix, instead of tossing money at it, regardless of their personal finances.
                                Classic! Whatever you do, get yourself a G5 Arrow Squaring Device.

Comment

Working...
                                X