No announcement yet.

223 vs 7.62x39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had one my 7.62x39 would be my favorite Ar.

Comment

Originally posted by BowCrazy View Post
      DBKeeling, what ammo are you using for your hog hunts?

69 gr sierra boattail hollowpoints, I’ve been reloading all my ammo and without my notes in front of me I couldn’t tell you how many grains of IMR 3031 I’m using right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post
        69 gr sierra boattail hollowpoints, I’ve been reloading all my ammo and without my notes in front of me I couldn’t tell you how many grains of IMR 3031 I’m using right now.

Whats the twist of your barrel?

I've got a 1 in 7 and wondering about that round in it?

Comment

Originally posted by BowCrazy View Post
          Whats the twist of your barrel?

I've got a 1 in 7 and wondering about that round in it?

Mine has a 1 in 9 but shoots them better than any other round I tried

Comment

100 yards ><
            Off the shelf FMJ 55gr. 223 & 123gr. grain 39
            39 more knock down, slower, 2+ times bigger projectile, 30%ish cheaper to shoot.
            223 more penetration, faster, smaller projectile, tumbles more, more shrapnel.
            IMO they are about the same for shooting worthless hogs but 39 cost less.
            When in doubt? Empty the magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
              100 yards ><
              Off the shelf FMJ 55gr. 223 & 123gr. grain 39
              39 more knock down, slower, 2+ times bigger projectile, 30%ish cheaper to shoot.
              223 more penetration, faster, smaller projectile, tumbles more, more shrapnel.
              IMO they are about the same for shooting worthless hogs but 39 cost less.
              When in doubt? Empty the magazine.
              Hard to argue with sound logic

Comment

To expand my statement on the 154 gr. Wolf ammo. It expands enough to hammer yotes and trash pandas. Shoulder shoot a 200 pound plus hog and it will usually get a pass through. That won't happen if the bullet blows up or over expands.

Comment

69gr Sierra hpbt under the ear will keep him from eating fawns and scaring the does away

Comment

Oh

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    If you were shooting steel, pigs, and varmints under 100 yds (iron sights), would you rather have a 223 (1:9 twist) or a 7.62x39?

...in regards to this gun if you're curious: http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/
                    Are you talking about this bolt action CZ 527? Whether to get it in 7.62x39 or 223?
                    That ammunition is 70 gr. 556x45 & the CZ 527 is 223. I think it's OK to shoot 556 out of a 223 bolt action rifle but I wouldn't go any "hotter" than 64 gr but that's me. I not trying to be a jerk but why buy a bolt action rifle instead of a semiautomatic 223 or 7.62x39 rifle for shooting hogs that close.
                    Last edited by texaspacker; 05-29-2018, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
                      Are you talking about this bolt action CZ 527? Whether to get it in 7.62x39 or 223?
                      That ammunition is 70 gr. 556x45 & the CZ 527 is 223. I think it's OK to shoot 556 out of a 223 bolt action rifle but I wouldn't go any "hotter" than 64 gr but that's me. I not trying to be a jerk but why buy a bolt action rifle instead of a semiautomatic 223 or 7.62x39 rifle for shooting hogs that close.
                      The cz 527 shoots 5.56 and 223. No offense taken. I like the looks and feel of the gun. I like all the cz's I've had and think AR's are ugly (though I appreciate them) ...no other reason than that.

Comment

i was very surprised yesterday, ive had ars in 7.62 and passed them off quick, but traded for a ruger bolt 7.62x39 n shot it for the first time yesterday. Hornady black and rem corelokt both shot under a inch 5 shot 100 yd groups with my old aac cyclone on it!! Body shots on hogs I prefer more than 223 gives especially at night, though barnes tsx and 77 gr sierra hps do fairly well. I prefer my 277 wolverine at night its killed lots of big hogs with body shots at night. will say also though that a 24" 223 hits a good bit harder than a 16"!!

I have been eyeballing a cz527 7.62 and now that I got the ruger I will for sure b adding it to the safe

Comment

Ak 47

The cz 527 shoots 5.56 and 223. No offense taken. I like the looks and feel of the gun. I like all the cz's I've had and think AR's are ugly (though I appreciate them) ...no other reason than that.
                          Understood. Uncle Reem-Us issued me a M16 back in 76 I thought they were great. Later on in life I bought an AK. Now I think an AK is a far better general purpose weapon than a M-16/AR-15 plus they both make good clubs when empty.
                          Switchin' gears, as far as accuracy? The SKS is the goodest semiauto IMO. Yes Sir ARs & AKs are both funky looking. The SKS is a work of art IMO. BUT nothing is priddier than a wood stock bolt action rifle. (Remington 700, Browning BAR, Winchester 70) No I'll take that back a S&W (non MIM) revolver is a work of art! Wait...……. Uh never mind?
                          Keep shootin' my friend!
                          Semper fi.
                          God bless!
                          PS: Don't listen to me. I'm an idiot!
                          Last edited by texaspacker; 05-30-2018, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I have been eyeballing one of the little cz 527 carbines in 7.62x39 for months now just haven't quite convinced myself I need it just yet. Plan is to throw a vortex viper pst 1-4x24 I bought a while back on it for the perfect little throw around truck gun. Compact lightweight and plenty of power for any critter in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                              I have been eyeballing one of the little cz 527 carbines in 7.62x39 for months now just haven't quite convinced myself I need it just yet. Plan is to throw a vortex viper pst 1-4x24 I bought a while back on it for the perfect little throw around truck gun. Compact lightweight and plenty of power for any critter in Texas.
                              I hear ya. Plus the single set trigger is awesome.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, have you considered the 527 in 6.5 grendel? It beats both 5.56 and 7.62x39 as a hunting round in my opinion, and you’re only giving up just under a 1/2# in weight vs the carbine.

Comment

Working...
                                X