2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
    As long as it stays 40° or higher, I have not had any issue. When it dips below that I'll bring them in or cover them to keep the frost off.

Here is the link for their planting schedule, and you can change it to whichever zone you are in (a lot of TX is Zone 8):

http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/TX
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I had better get my stuff ready to go.

Comment

Gonna head to Callaways or lowes today. Was too lazy to start my own seeds this year. Trying to remember to scale it back this year and hope it will increase production by not over crowding. Been adding compost and bonemeal to the raised bed the last couple days so hoping soil will be good

Comment

Edit: wrong thread[emoji23]

Comment

Just planted the first batch. Black Krum, Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple and Caspian Pink as well as some other heirloom varieties that seemed to germinate from last years tomatoes. Also put in some ghost pepper and poblanos.

I picked up some cantaloupe, watermelon, Kentucky wonder pole beans and some blue lake bush beans too but not sure if I should plant them in the big box or containers, haven't tried to grow any of these before. And some aristocrat zucchini

Comment

Alright so I was talking with my gardening partner (my 3 yr old littlegirl) a little bit ago. I asked her if there was anything special she wanted to grow this year . She told me she wanted to grow her own pumpkin. That is one thing I've never grown. Any tips or pointers to help get her a pumpkin grown? I know they run and that's what I'm worried about since this is in my backyard and I don't have a ton of room

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
              Alright so I was talking with my gardening partner (my 3 yr old littlegirl) a little bit ago. I asked her if there was anything special she wanted to grow this year . She told me she wanted to grow her own pumpkin. That is one thing I've never grown. Any tips or pointers to help get her a pumpkin grown? I know they run and that's what I'm worried about since this is in my backyard and I don't have a ton of room

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
              Heck, pumpkins are pretty easy to grow... The think to remember is some of the vining/running plants will "mix" if planted too close together... such as pumpkins, watermelons, cantaloupe, squashes, cucumbers... Not sure if all with cross with each other, but a bunch of them will... A year ago, we had a jack-o-lantern break near the back door. some of the seeds were still inside... All spring long last year, we had pumpkin vines coming up between the rocks in the sidewalk/rock linings... Had more trouble gettin' rid of 'em than we did trying to grow 'em.
              Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                Just planted the first batch. Black Krum, Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple and Caspian Pink as well as some other heirloom varieties that seemed to germinate from last years tomatoes. Also put in some ghost pepper and poblanos.

I picked up some cantaloupe, watermelon, Kentucky wonder pole beans and some blue lake bush beans too but not sure if I should plant them in the big box or containers, haven't tried to grow any of these before. And some aristocrat zucchini

I grew the blue lake bush beans...they were good. Kids loved them.

I like those Cherokee purple. My mortgage letter did well last year. I really like black krim

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                  I grew the blue lake bush beans...they were good. Kids loved them.

I like those Cherokee purple. My mortgage letter did well last year. I really like black krim
                  How did you grow the blue lake? Can't decide if I should put it in the raised bed or a planter/5 gallon bucket

Comment

I plowed our garden a few weeks ago and filled in some mulch last weekend. I plan on planting this weekend. Mine also got bigger this year. My dad said his got bigger every year it seamed.

Comment

How did you grow the blue lake? Can't decide if I should put it in the raised bed or a planter/5 gallon bucket

In a raised bed.

Comment

We did the Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, and Ghosts last year... you will love them. We also did an indeterminate cherry tomato variety called Rapunzel that grew absolutely insane.

Cherokee purple that got knocked off early

Rapunzel

Ghost peppers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                          We did the Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, and Ghosts last year... you will love them. We also did an indeterminate cherry tomato variety called Rapunzel that grew absolutely insane.

Rapunzel

Ghost peppers

Wow! That Rapunzel really is insane!

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

Rapunzel

Ghost peppers

Wow how old is that ghost pepper plant?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                              Wow how old is that ghost pepper plant?!?!?

That was a single year's growth. It was started in the greenhouse the last week of December 2015, transplanted Easter 2016, and killed by the first frost. We got 9 gallons of peppers (6 of them were green) off of it throughout the year.
                              Here are the Ghosts and Reapers from this year...

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

Originally posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
                                Wow! That Rapunzel really is insane!

It grew another 4.5 feet, but it had fallen over due to lack of support. 14.5 foot total length. It is an indeterminate variety, and I pinched all suckers for the first 6 feet.

It also produced like gangbusters....

Last edited by IkemanTX; 03-10-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X