2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rseveer View Post
    hooligan sorry I don't have any plans. Two of the boxes are 4'x8' x 21" tall. Made with 2x8's yellow pine stained on the outside only with Olympic Maximum cedar tone. I like the look of it being capped on the sides and ends, I used decking boards stained the same. The other box is 5'x10' x 21" tall. That's my tomato box. The corners are trimmed with cedar fence pickets, I put one in the middle of each box on both sides just to break up the box. I stained them the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
      I can get all the cow manure I need. Would this do me any good with my peppers in raised beds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cow manure can be really "hot" and the high nitrogen content can burn plants. You could apply it sparingly this year, and make a pile to compost for next year.

If you apply it un-composted, I would let it dry completely and turn it into a powder by running a lawn mower over it at its lowest setting. This makes essentially a manure "meal".... kinda like a bone meal or fish meal. Once again, apply it pretty sparingly so that you don't hurt the veggies.

Here is a good example of this

Last edited by IkemanTX; 03-07-2017, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Looking good guys!

Comment

Finally got my tomatoes peppers and squash in. Should've made my box bigger

Comment

Ya'll have been busy! We finally have ours planted. With the soil being the way it is and our limited amount of compost I ended up planting our goodies in containers that I sank into the ground in our raised beds. Yes it's odd but it saved on compost and will keep the darn ground squirrels out of the roots. We put down 12 strawberry plants, a pile of cucumbers and peas, 15 tomatoes, 12 peppers, squash, zucchini, a black berry briar and a rather nice little herb bed. This weekend we're doing potatoes (just to see if they work), beets, onions and hopefully some kale. After they are all up and doing well we're planting flowers around the containers to help attract our bees.

Richard.

Edit: We actually got the plants in the ground two weeks ago and are already eating strawberries out of the berry bed, have peas on half the plants and 5 squash that should be eating size in about a week.

Comment

Got a load of "black gold" it leaf mold compost from Natures Way Resources in Conroe. I add it to the rose soil mix it all up and the beds are full of biodiversity.

Comment

We have our seedlings still growing inside but going to go outside very soon. Doing 3 types of tomatoes, squash, basil, potatoes, onions, strawberries, 3 types of lettuce, corn.

This is our 2nd year gardening with everything being hydroponic last year. Going about 50/50 this year as we are branching out. Everything should be in the greenhouse other than the melons and corn.

Comment

Finally got my potatoes and onions in the ground. Trying potatoes in the ground and in grow sacks.

Also planted some early tomatoes and a hanging strawberry plant.

Got some potted citronella and sweet mint for the porch.

Comment

I'm going to give some herbs ago this year. Beautiful aromatic basil, mint and coriander see where that goes

Comment

Originally posted by JayH View Post
                      I'm going to give some herbs ago this year. Beautiful aromatic basil, mint and coriander see where that goes

We planted some mint last year. It wasn't long till mint was every where and I was trying to kill it. Grows fast.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                        Cow manure can be really "hot" and the high nitrogen content can burn plants. You could apply it sparingly this year, and make a pile to compost for next year.

If you apply it un-composted, I would let it dry completely and turn it into a powder by running a lawn mower over it at its lowest setting. This makes essentially a manure "meal".... kinda like a bone meal or fish meal. Once again, apply it pretty sparingly so that you don't hurt the veggies.

I put a layer over the top of my beds about a month before I'm planting. Then I water it in and make a tea....complete with foam I do this several times. I might even turn it once or twice and water it in again.

So far, no bad results.

Comment

Originally posted by rseveer View Post
                          Got a load of "black gold" it leaf mold compost from Natures Way Resources in Conroe. I add it to the rose soil mix it all up and the beds are full of biodiversity.

That looks prime!

Good luck and keep posting pics.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

I spread a layer over the top and then water it in several time.

Comment

I see that several on here have already planted their tomatoes and jalapenos and now I have a question.

According to the Farmers Almanac, I should plant them in early April. Which brings me to my question. Would it hurt if I planted them now? I live on the coast and will be planting them in big mineral tubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
                                I see that several on here have already planted their tomatoes and jalapenos and now I have a question.

According to the Farmers Almanac, I should plant them in early April. Which brings me to my question. Would it hurt if I planted them now? I live on the coast and will be planting them in big mineral tubs.
                                As long as it stays 40° or higher, I have not had any issue. When it dips below that I'll bring them in or cover them to keep the frost off.

Here is the link for their planting schedule, and you can change it to whichever zone you are in (a lot of TX is Zone 8):

Last edited by Bigyummy77; 03-08-2017, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X