Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
    I talked to Brendon's parents for awhile during the start of the game against College Park yesterday evening. The wanted me to tell you hello and they talked about some good times they had playing with y'all back in the day....Gulf Shores being one of them. They seem like great people.
    Paul and Nancy are great people, parents and baseball folks. I cannot say enough good things about them. Brendon is also just a great kid and player. Yes we had some awesome times and all three trips to Gulf Shores were the highlight. Glad you spoke with them. I hope Paul didn't tell you about the time we both were kicked out of a baseball game in LaPorte. Good times for sure. Good Luck the rest of the way. How is Colton doing this year?

Comment

Originally posted by trhunter View Post
      Paul and Nancy are great people, parents and baseball folks. I cannot say enough good things about them. Brendon is also just a great kid and player. Yes we had some awesome times and all three trips to Gulf Shores were the highlight. Glad you spoke with them. I hope Paul didn't tell you about the time we both were kicked out of a baseball game in LaPorte. Good times for sure. Good Luck the rest of the way. How is Colton doing this year?
      Oh hell no...you can't bring something like that up and not tell the story...

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
        Oh hell no...you can't bring something like that up and not tell the story...
        It would take two full pages to write. LOL. I will say that Paul was kicked out first.

Comment

Hey look... we got space! !!

Comment

Hey look... we got space! !!
            Lots of space

Comment

and we will not judge......too harshly

Comment

I will not tell the story, but it starts like this. We had an umpire that had hearing aides, he turned them off to ignore us, but we still got thrown out of the game. At first he threw our manager out who didn't say a word because he was the closest one to him (when he threw him out, our manager replied "Who me, I didn't do anything wrong" and the look on his face was priceless. Oh god it was so funny, but you would of had to be there.

Comment

anyone playing in the super NIT the 29th-1st? twin city in shrevesport

Comment

wait.. you got thrown out by a deaf umpire?
                    usually they are blind...

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty5 View Post
                      Just keep it up and he won't see his junior year of college ball at the rate of nonstop playing. Look at the pros they take time off because the body parts do wear out and yes surgery can fix them but not back to its original state I know I was young and dumb and thought I could play forever but guess what my body played out.. Young sought after left handed picther with a future ahead of me but ... You guessed it ... Blew out a shoulder and yep it was non repairable junior year in college. Do I regret it HELL YES that's my thoughts on select baseball and has been for the 40 yrs just ask my son
                      Your arm could've "blown out" any way with minimal use, little use, lots of use, etc....

Sports, or any other activity, is to be enjoyed by the youth and, generally speaking, kids that enjoy playing sports enjoy the activity of the sport.... Even "select sports".

Comment

Originally posted by trhunter View Post

Yep, you are gonna have to do a better job at telling that story. lol I've got some darn good ones while I was an assistant coach with Kings Baseball for 3 years before we rolled over to the Banditos. I never got kicked out but walked a fine line many of times. Blue Tick here on TBH used to ump (still does I think) tournaments but I didn't know who he was at the time. I'm sure he has umped a lot of y'alls games back in the day. Blue Tick might of gave me a warning or 2.

Colton is doing well. He is our #1 Varsity starter in the pitching rotation. He has had a great year on the bump. I believe his ERA is around the 1.00 mark in 7 games with 4 complete games. He pitches tomorrow night against Summer Creek at home. I'm not sure how he will do...been home with strep throat and upper respiratory crap all week. I've made him go to practice yesterday and again today to get ready for tomorrow. He doesn't like me right now. Suck it up Buttercup.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty5 View Post
                          Just keep it up and he won't see his junior year of college ball at the rate of nonstop playing. Look at the pros they take time off because the body parts do wear out and yes surgery can fix them but not back to its original state I know I was young and dumb and thought I could play forever but guess what my body played out.. Young sought after left handed picther with a future ahead of me but ... You guessed it ... Blew out a shoulder and yep it was non repairable junior year in college. Do I regret it HELL YES that's my thoughts on select baseball and has been for the 40 yrs just ask my son

I see what you are saying which is why I have tried to pace my son since 9U. We NEVER played fall ball. I also let him spread his wings the past couple of years and play golf. Last year he didn't pick up a baseball from the end of May till December. Select ball is GREAT for kids who love to play baseball. It is a great way to learn the game at a higher level and also have better instruction. Now the over playing is the parents fault 100%. They control the over use of their child.

On the other hand...I also would like to point out to others here who have a talented youngster in baseball. I will use Craig Biggio as an example who had a enormous long career from 1988-2007 with the Houston Astros. He decided to hang it up at the age of 42 I believe. If he lives to be 80 to 85 that means baseball was just a small fraction of what he did during his life. Most baseball players only play High School ball and if they are lucky and good enough, they will get a scholarship to play at the next level. After College, numbers drop off significantly on them playing ball after College. If they do go on to play pro ball then the average career lasts about 6 years, give or take. That means you are done playing baseball at the age of 27 (give or take a year) which means you have THE REST OF YOUR LIFE not playing baseball!

With that said, just enjoy the ride. Baseball is a tool to help prepare them for the rest of their life. Responsibility, friendships, hard work, making them into men and preparing them for what lies in store the rest of their life. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

wait.. you got thrown out by a deaf umpire?
                            usually they are blind...
                            Yep sure did, wasn't one of my finer moments in coaching, but it is a funny story now. And yes he was blind also, guess he got tired of us, so he turned off his hearing aides. Heck I didn't think he could hear us.

Comment

Yep, you are gonna have to do a better job at telling that story. lol I've got some darn good ones while I was an assistant coach with Kings Baseball for 3 years before we rolled over to the Banditos. I never got kicked out but walked a fine line many of times. Blue Tick here on TBH used to ump (still does I think) tournaments but I didn't know who he was at the time. I'm sure he has umped a lot of y'alls games back in the day. Blue Tick might of gave me a warning or 2.

Colton is doing well. He is our #1 Varsity starter in the pitching rotation. He has had a great year on the bump. I believe his ERA is around the 1.00 mark in 7 games with 4 complete games. He pitches tomorrow night against Summer Creek at home. I'm not sure how he will do...been home with strep throat and upper respiratory crap all week. I've made him go to practice yesterday and again today to get ready for tomorrow. He doesn't like me right now. Suck it up Buttercup.
                              Good for him, glad to see he is doing well. My son played with a bunch of those boys over at the Woodlands. Good group of guys. Hope he feels well on Friday. Tell him to throw James Ortiz at Summer Creek a couple of fastballs on the outside corner then come back and get him with the curve. Good Luck to him

Comment

I see what you are saying which is why I have tried to pace my son since 9U. We NEVER played fall ball. I also let him spread his wings the past couple of years and play golf. Last year he didn't pick up a baseball from the end of May till December. Select ball is GREAT for kids who love to play baseball. It is a great way to learn the game at a higher level and also have better instruction. Now the over playing is the parents fault 100%. They control the over use of their child.

On the other hand...I also would like to point out to others here who have a talented youngster in baseball. I will use Craig Biggio as an example who had a enormous long career from 1988-2007 with the Houston Astros. He decided to hang it up at the age of 42 I believe. If he lives to be 80 to 85 that means baseball was just a small fraction of what he did during his life. Most baseball players only play High School ball and if they are lucky and good enough, they will get a scholarship to play at the next level. After College, numbers drop off significantly on them playing ball after College. If they do go on to play pro ball then the average career lasts about 6 years, give or take. That means you are done playing baseball at the age of 27 (give or take a year) which means you have THE REST OF YOUR LIFE not playing baseball!

With that said, just enjoy the ride. Baseball is a tool to help prepare them for the rest of their life. Responsibility, friendships, hard work, making them into men and preparing them for what lies in store the rest of their life. Just my 2 cents.
                                just curious, how did your sons coach take to him not playing during the fall when he was younger? did the team continue to play or did they all take the fall off? if they played, did they hold a spot for him till spring?

my 8yo is my first run at all this and I am learning as I go, seems that all the select teams around us play all year long, even at this age.

Comment

Working...
                                X