No announcement yet.

Coleman treasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a great find right there buddy. Great for your collection.

Comment

So, I don't know much about them, but from what I have seen it looks like maybe that is a 1948-1953 model? That is the original old style tank, correct? What is something like that worth? I plan to keep it, but just curious...

Comment

Value is based on what the collector is willing to pay. Probably a couple hundred bucks if that is a working stove. Just a huge guess though.

Comment

I kind of figured in the 100-200 range. Doesn't really matter though since I am keeping it, but I was curious. It is probably going to take a bit of work to get it running, I need to start by cleaning everything out good and then go from there. You got a good link on how to rebuild one? I figure I will just strip down all the valves, etc and clean them good, then try to fire it up.

The pump is stuck, and the main tank valve is froze up, but the valve for the second burner moves free. Tank probably needs to be cleaned too. Seems I read something about soaking it in vinegar for a few days?

Comment

I use Metal Rescue to soak the parts now. Take the generator off tank and clean/soak it. Be very careful pulling it apart because there is needle at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
              I kind of figured in the 100-200 range. Doesn't really matter though since I am keeping it, but I was curious. It is probably going to take a bit of work to get it running, I need to start by cleaning everything out good and then go from there. You got a good link on how to rebuild one? I figure I will just strip down all the valves, etc and clean them good, then try to fire it up.

The pump is stuck, and the main tank valve is froze up, but the valve for the second burner moves free. Tank probably needs to be cleaned too. Seems I read something about soaking it in vinegar for a few days?
              No link really.
              Stoves are simple.
              remove the burner first. Soak burner and rings for a few hours. Set aside to dry
              Remove plumbing. Wipe down with a good cleaner to remove the grease. Soak if you want to.

Remove plumbing shelf. Scrub down with good cleaner. Soak it if you want.

*Tank*
              Be careful here. Parts are brass, but the tank is not. Just take your time removing the generator. I have never messed with a tank like yours, but you should be okay.

is there a model number and date code on that case?

Comment

Well, I just screwed it up.

I went to Old Coleman Parts and was using his tutorial, pretty good. I went to remove the valve from the tank, it was stuck pretty hard. I was twisting on it, and instead of the brass fitting coming out of the tank, the metal boss in the tank itself spun. So I guess the tank is ruined now. Unless I can get someone to braze it back. I used to do that in the Navy, I know it can be done. It will ruin my paint though, which I was hoping to keep original. Everything else cam apart fine, and was cleaning up real well.

Only thing on that case is Coleman, 425, Wichita Kansas. The video I saw said it wasn't until much later they started stamping dates on them.

In this video I go through the changes of the 425 series Coleman camp stove.

Here is where the fitting spun. I should have put some heat on that thread locker to turn it loose.

Comment

Ouch. Go to Coleman Collector forum and join. Post there and see what the experts can do to help. You can find some great collectors on FB as well.

Comment

It can be braised. Just make sure you test it before using.

Comment

That pic looks like it was soldered in not brazed.

Comment

So I got on the Coleman Collector forum, and a guy had done pretty much the same thing on a tank that looked just like mine. He had soldered a new fitting in his. So I busted out the torch and silver solder that we use doing the piping inside tanks, and went to work. First time I got it a little crooked, then I had to heat it again and straighten it up. But it is back in, everything is back together, and it works fine and is all sealed up. I tested it real well.

I am back in business, minus some factory paint I really wanted to keep. But I guess I can just re-paint the tank and not mess with the green case. I would like to leave it alone.

They talk about the tanks on these being bronze, but mine isn't bronze, it is a brown with no metallic in it. 99% sure that is factory paint too. I guess I willl just match it as good as I can and spray it.

Comment

Great job!!!

Comment

And now that I have destroyed the paint on the tank...

I have looked and looked for another one with a brown tank like that. All of the round tanks like that are bronze. Except I found a picture of ONE that wasn't bronze, but brown. The caption on it said "probably from late 1947 or early 1948." So, maybe I had one from the very first year of the 425, in good shape, and boogered it. Where is that banging head on the wall emoji when you need it?

I still think I will just go ahead and repaint it. I won't be selling it anyways.

The valve handle was messed up too, you can see where it is just brass and not the plastic wheel. So I ordered one of those from Old Coleman Parts, as well as a new generator and filler gasket.

Comment

Coleman treasures

It will serve you well for years. I have one shelf queen stove. It's brand new never used three burner with all the paperwork. I have that never fired lantern above but I plan on using it.

I got carried away collecting this stuff, but now I only go after certain ones. I will get a heat drum for my 502 stove and a couple more accessory trays for the bigger lanterns.
                              Last edited by 2050z; 10-30-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I have a heat drum, need to find a 502 stove

Wife bought it at a garage sale in a pile of stuff and I didn't know what it was until later on

Comment

Working...
                                X