No announcement yet.

Matador for GDE Nov. 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck to you guys hope y’all get a big muley!

Comment

Two bucks down so far and I passed up a couple legal ones looking for that big trophy. Starting to rut and chase pretty good. Snow yesterday, and 14 degrees and clear today!!

Comment

A little warmer today. Bucks running around everywhere in our compartment. Took a corner with no road access and went walkabout. About one hour into it I caught a big 11 pt lazily walking up a draw. Had to follow him up on the bluff, and bedded a couple times in thick brush. Couldn’t count points or judge spread for 30 minutes. Finally move up out of draw onto sunny hillside. Still watched for another 15 minutes. Finally had a clear shot at 330 yards, proned out and hit him. Took a couple more but my first 11 pt was down!!! Went I get to a computer I’ll get pics up. We got our 3 and 3 others have been killed so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
          A little warmer today. Bucks running around everywhere in our compartment. Took a corner with no road access and went walkabout. About one hour into it I caught a big 11 pt lazily walking up a draw. Had to follow him up on the bluff, and bedded a couple times in thick brush. Couldn’t count points or judge spread for 30 minutes. Finally move up out of draw onto sunny hillside. Still watched for another 15 minutes. Finally had a clear shot at 330 yards, proned out and hit him. Took a couple more but my first 11 pt was down!!! Went I get to a computer I’ll get pics up. We got our 3 and 3 others have been killed so far.
          Congrats. In for pics.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck yea!

Comment

Another post before bedtime. Another hunter brought in a massive 9 pt tha was 8 yrs old. Good rutting action all afternoon and we saw another 8 bucks. Some people are having luck with grunts and rattling. My partner took a doe tonight also.

Comment

Sounds like a heck of a hunt! Looking forward to pics

Comment

Can’t wait for pics! Congrats! No easy task.

Comment

On our way home now and had a great hunt. Lisa got her doe last night so 5 deer total. I saw one small pig and jumped a couple big hogs in a bottom, but my partners never saw any to shoot at. I unloaded my rifle and put it away after taking my buck

Comment

What compartment were you in?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Follow up on my pictures with a report.

We were in the O.X. compartment, and also Suitcase between the private residence and OX. Basically the two eastern sections up against the county road. The people around the WMA with private land have lots of food plots, feeders, and box blinds trying to pull deer out of the WMA. The evening before the hunt we saw over 150 mule deer outside the area in the cotton fields. We saw a few hogs the day before the hunt, but did not shoot any while deer hunting. There were 9 out of 10 hunters showed up, so they drew two standby cards. One with only one hunter and the other had two. Probably had 20 people show up for the standby drawing.

All the hunters were spread out over the entire WMA and I think everyone saw deer, but may or may not have gotten one. I think there were 6-7 bucks and only a couple does taken. Will have to look at the harvest results next winter to see what the final numbers were. One kid took a beautiful wide 9 point that was 8.5 years old!!!

We were lucky to fill all of our tags, but we hunted hard and if they weren't moving well we went after them on foot. I think we all saw between 4-8 bucks a day and probably 6-10m does. Getting on high points and glassing all day showed a lot of deer. Lisa was a little disappointed and wished she had waited, but it was her very first Texas whitetail and she did not know what to expect. Next time she said she will be picky!!!

For the upcoming hunts, I believe the deer will still be in or close to the rut and it should be good hunting. Antlerless hunters will have a lot to look forward to themselves.

Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Did they weigh the deer? I was just curious what bucks and does in that part of the country weigh.

Comment

Working...
                                X