How do you tell your wife no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
    My Dad ran into this problem back in the early 90's with my mom. She wanted a new house, my Dad wanted to pay off the one they had and retire early. He put his foot down, she left. He retired early 58, never remarried, just fished all the time. My mom's new husband is still working past 70, but they have a really nice house/pool/outdoor kitchen, koi pond with waterfall etc.....
    I like you dad and have never met him!!
    I’m 42, house was paid off 2 years ago, and I’m about 15,000 away from being completely debt free.
    My wife and I both agreed on getting out of debt a top priority!
    After that if we want something we save and pay cash for it. She works and makes her own money but I pay the everyday bills. We also both agree that I pay for the things I want and she pays for the things she wants but we both consult each other before any large purchase. We have both talked each other out of a few things we didn’t see the benefit of.
    It works for us.

Comment

White cabinets and grey walls abound to make spending half a million feel cooler. That Will Ferrell GIF s a riot.

Maybe suggest painting the walls and cabinets of your current house to look similar to what she is looking at on Zillow.

Good luck on the purchase.

Comment

Meh, happy wife, happy life!

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          I’m weird I just say no
          Call me weird too. Doesn't matter what she makes or what I make, I run the show. We, meaning both my wife and I, believe there is no partnership in a marriage. She has her input, I have mine. In the end I make the decisions. My wife is as old school bible thumper as they come. She expects me to fulfill man duties and she fulfills woman duties. She doesn't want the responsibility of decisions. Her mother and grandmothers were the same way. I wouldn't have married her if it was otherwise.

Just a small example. I called her mother to pick me up at the auto repair shop. She drove up and got out of the car as I was opening the passenger side to get in. She had an odd look and said "You're driving". I got in the driver seat and asked what was up with that. Her answer was she didn't want to be seen in town driving with a man in the car. Old School my man!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
            I have no problem saying no but I’ve been known to be selfish[emoji15]. She rarely questions my expenses for hunting or fishing and lets me travel anywhere at anytime for those activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Fishing and hunting expenses are way different than a new home. My wife wants a new house. I’m totally against it. Our house is almost paid off. I can retire in 12 years. I sure as hell don’t want a new house payment. Even if we put $100k down on a house, we would probably still need to finance a$100k for the house she wants. I want all my stuff paid off before I retire, including the house. But, we are doing some remodeling, so she gets to decide what changes are made (to an extent!)

Comment

just say no, that's what i've told my wife for the last 10yrs when she asks for a pool.

Comment

She wants a bigger closet, yard and bathroom. I wouldn’t mind having a little bit more yard.

Good reasons but are they worth doubling your current cost ? Bring up all the additional cost of a new house, more options you both want, window coverings, landscaping etc.

Comment

Stop being a tightwad and buy that woman a new house.... Her having to put up with you is reason enough....

Comment

NO

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      Why do 2 people need a 5 bedroom house?

We don’t.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                        Absolutely hilarious.

Comment

Good luck whatever you decide to do. It is nice to not have a mortgage, but at the same you only live once. You have to just have an honest conversation about it with her. I send real estate stuff to my wife all the time. Usually she shoots them down flatly. This spring one caught her eye and we actually ended up making an offer......that was rejected. Anyway, when it was all said and done we were both glad it didn't go through. Sometimes you just have to go through the process. Part of the attraction of moving is thinking a new place will solve all your problems that you have with you old place. The thing is you fill the new house up with the same crap that is in your old house, and end up in the same situation.

I do like this house.

18537 Manchac Acres Rd
                          Prairieville, LA 70769

Comment

How do you tell your wife no?

Originally posted by BBRU View Post
                            Stop being a tightwad and buy that woman a new house.... Her having to put up with you is reason enough....

Yep it would be horrible if a tragic hammock accident was to befall him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My wife has been hinting about wanting a new house for the last couple of years and we have talked about it but I’ve kept pushing it off. We have looked at a few lots but the lots are expensive and building a house on those lots is crazy expensive. Now she is sending me Zillow links to houses on a weekly basis and I don’t think this is something I can continue to avoid.

Brother when you figure that out please let me know.

Comment

Tell her you can’t buy her a new house cause that’s more space she’ll have to clean lmfao oh brother...

Comment

Working...
                                X