Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Los Jefes Ranch

Long read and pic heavy

Well this weekend we headed down south to Benavides for a Cull hunt at the Los Jefes Ranch. Hunters going were me, my son and my father. We arrived Friday around 1 pm at the ranch and all I can say is WOW!!! The amenities were 5 star and AD showed us to our room which had 2 bedrooms with 2 beds a full kitchen and bathroom. Once unpacked we headed to the huge pond and within minutes my son had caught a 5lb catfish and some of the biggest perch I've seen. We headed to the stands that evening and early my dad got his Cull buck which was a nice 8. AD was with me and my son, and he had a buck already picked for him, and at 4:45 the buck shows. It's a heavy horned 8 with a lot of character, AD gives my son the green light and BOOM! The buck kicks then limps off. We are excited but from last couple of hunts I didn't want to get excited until my son was holding the deer. We wait 30 minutes then get out expecting a short track, and the exact opposite happens we trail deer approximately 120 yds and lost blood. My son was devastated, so I started calling to get a dog on the ground, and stumbled across Wade Cornelius number and at 8:30 he shows up and once he meets the owners and explains what's about to happen me and AD head out with Wade. At 9:30 we here the best sound, his dog barking and deer recovered!!!! Wade and his dog "Gun Smoke" are the REAL DEAL!!! We get back to camp to tell my son and I couldn't even mess around with him, because as soon as he saw me he ran out there and the smile says it all. Saturday was pretty uneventful I had seen some HUGE deer and a few culls but did not offer a shot, my son ended up with a stomach bug so he didn't hunt but when he was feeling good he would hit the pond a little bit and caught quite a few fish. So Sunday morning rolls around and it's my last hunt and I know it's may not happen so me and Robert Gomez the ranch manager go out for my last sit. We start seeing deer early a few young deer and about 200 yds a deer steps out but it's a young 10 that is real nice, not what we are after though. LOL Right after he steps out 2 more deer step out and one is huge body wise, Robert looks and determines that is the one so I start to set up and they disappear. I was bummed but Robert assured me they would come back out and to get set up, and he was right 10 minutes later the buck shows back up, he was 200 yds and slowly coming towards us and when he got 150 yds he turned broadside and BOOM. I look up and knew I hit him and then just started shaking like crazy beings this was my first buck in 5 years that I have shot, because I always let my son shoot (I get more enjoyment watching him then me shooting) and Robert starts cracking up because I get buck fever over a cull. We get up to him and realize that buck is pretty old and was an excellent deer to take!!! We get back to camp and my son was pumped I finally got one. All in all it was an excellent weekend and couldn't of asked for a nicer place and even better guides Amador (Hoyt21) did an outstanding job!!! Anyone looking for a whitetail hunt at a great price this is the place. The management deer on this place would be trophies, and once in a lifetime type deer for me and my son. We are already planning on going back next year for a Management Hunt, but me and my son will draw straws on who shoots Buck and the other will shoot does. They are putting up several bow blinds and have a few up already, so next year we will bow hunt. The food was awesome as the lodge too, Friday we had lamb chops and ribs, Saturday was steaks and grilled shrimp kabobs with some potato wedge things that were awesome. Breakfast was made to order tacos with anything you wanted. PM Hoyt21 for information it was definitely the nicest ranch we have been to.

My dad's deer

My son's deer

Mr. Cornelius and Gun Smoke

Me and AD (Hoyt21)

My deer

Food teaser

Fish and more fish

AD and Hunter

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Congrats to all! Nice deer

Comment

Had a great time josh. Thanks for everything !

Comment

Great write up, and some really nice deer.

Comment

Those are some big bodied deer! Nice work!

Comment

nice deer congrats

Comment

website info?

Comment

Congrats to all! Nice pics.

Comment

That's awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Three generations and great memories.

Comment